Second Build

Haha my wife thinks so too! Sometimes I make sanding a fun project and make her do it. ::thumb:

So I started repairing the chip with some lacquer drop filled.

I also noticed these ugly little white dots in some places on the headstock.

IMG_20160627_100728_zpsq1uvkjjl.jpg

I've had this problem on a previous build where I used the same acrylic brand but with a black finish. Does anyone know the cause of this? I always made sure I sprayed on dry days (<60% humidity in my garage). The spots only came out after wet sanding and weren't there before. 

37 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Haha my wife thinks so too! Sometimes I make sanding a fun project and make her do it. ::thumb:

So I started repairing the chip with some lacquer drop filled.

I also noticed these ugly little white dots in some places on the headstock.

IMG_20160627_100728_zpsq1uvkjjl.jpg

I've had this problem on a previous build where I used the same acrylic brand but with a black finish. Does anyone know the cause of this? I always made sure I sprayed on dry days (<60% humidity in my garage). The spots only came out after wet sanding and weren't there before. 

Pinholes, I've had the same problem with acrylic when I've sprayed the next coat too soon after ther previous coat. The coat underneath keeps off gassing after the second coat skins over. It seems to stick mostly to edges where wet finish tends to pool thicker than the rest of the flat areas. That's probably not the only cause but I cured it by leaving subsequent coats until the very end of the flash window to give the early coats as much time to flash as possible.

Edited by birch

1 minute ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Oh but the surface is flat and I thought pinholes meant areas of sunken spots. 

Anyway I probably won't be spraying another finish for a long time, but glad I learned something.

The rattle cans put a lot of material down really fast and it tends to create a thicker ridge on edges of flat surfaces, something to do with surface tension in liquids I believe... High humidity does increase the drying time though so it could have just extended the flash time a little longer than the normal recoat window. Rattle cans are convenient when you're just doing a project or two but you can't beat the control of an hvlp spray setup. They are expensive initially however...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

That explains it! Thanks for the help!

So is there a way to get rid of the white spots? Scott suggests blush remover. I could try that but I'm tempted to leave it alone because I don't want to risk any more potential damage haha.

I don't know if that would work on acrylic but it might be worth a try. Personally I would mask everything but the headstock face, scuff it, make sure any ridge is gone and give it a couple light coats to seal things up. Shouldn't take much material to fill and cover the pinholes. Or just leave it, it doesn't look like a huge deal.

24 minutes ago, birch said:

I don't know if that would work on acrylic but it might be worth a try. Personally I would mask everything but the headstock face, scuff it, make sure any ridge is gone and give it a couple light coats to seal things up. Shouldn't take much material to fill and cover the pinholes. Or just leave it, it doesn't look like a huge deal.

Thanks. I think it's probably wise for me to leave it! I can foresee many things going wrong haha.

• 3 weeks later...