POD Pro

daveq

I did a search and was surprised to find very little in terms of comments on the quality of this thing. They seem to be very popular nowadays. Are they any good? Are they a replacement for a multi-effects unit or are they meant to compliment one? If you like the sound of your amp (and I do), would it still make sense to look into one of these?

[edit]... i just realized you said POD Pro, and not 2.0... >.< sorry, i have no idea... But i'll leave my input on the POD 2.0 for anyone else who reads this ^.^

I have one. I like it a lot for home recording, but i dislike it for live playing, and gigs. Though it does sound very killer though a bass amp :D There's a lot you can do with it, yet a little more i wish you could do with it. But all the stuff i wish i could do with it is on the POD XT, so if you wana spend the extra hundred or so getting that, that'd be cool.

The thing is very durable. I've never dropped it, but i've seen others in the music stores trying it out, and trying to set it on top of an amp, and having it fall about 5 or 6 feet to a hard carpet floor. Still worked just fine B) The conoured and rounded surfacing make it pretty shock resistant. It also makes it look like a butt, but that's besides the point.

I'm not sure if anyone actually uses all 32 channels of saved settings, but i do use atleast 4. I have 2 dirty tones set into it, and 2 clean tones. All in all, i love this thing ^.^

i know it used to be fairly popular as a direct box for recording among quite a few people at guitarwar.com

but where you're asking about just for your amp and live playing, sorry no clue :D

The thing is very durable.

You couldn't be more wrong. The POD 2.0 is the less reliable unit I know. In our rehearsal room there plays another band. Both of their guitarists play over POD's. Both of them bought their POD's completely new in store including the footswitch which is not cheap as well. They only use it in the band room and play a couple of gigs per year. They treated them very well. The units + footswitch are in mint condition, they nearly look new. One POD has random dropouts and sometimes changes the selected program at will. The other one's footswitch is so defect that only two of 4 switches work reliable. As I said before they don't play much and they don't do much gigs or treated the POD's bad, so I think the reliability of the POD is not good at all.

Interesting. That's the first time i've ever heard about that happening o.O didja try just opening it up and shooting a little canned oxygen around to close out any metal fragments that could be bridging connections to switches and buttons which would cause that to happen? I do that to a lot of electronic equipment i buy, and that keeps it workin for a while ^.^ I will admit that i found a lot of crap in my POD though.

*doesn't know exactly what you said* I'm guessing you said that he did what i said. Well i have no clue what to do then >.o sorry. I mean, i do have some ideas of what to do, but i'm not gonna mention them, cuz i have no clue now lol. *shrugs* maybe the batch at Daddy's are a group of super pods that are built spacificly for being beat up by dumbass customers :D

The thing is very durable.

You couldn't be more wrong. The POD 2.0 is the less reliable unit I know. In our rehearsal room there plays another band. Both of their guitarists play over POD's. Both of them bought their POD's completely new in store including the footswitch which is not cheap as well. They only use it in the band room and play a couple of gigs per year. They treated them very well. The units + footswitch are in mint condition, they nearly look new. One POD has random dropouts and sometimes changes the selected program at will. The other one's footswitch is so defect that only two of 4 switches work reliable. As I said before they don't play much and they don't do much gigs or treated the POD's bad, so I think the reliability of the POD is not good at all.

I have a Pod Pro

So is it typically used as a replacement for a multi-fx processor or is it used along with one?

It's usually used as a pre-amp replacement. It has built in effects, so you can either use those, or add your own...

Guitar -> pod pro -> effects loop return on amp (slave in)

OK, now I'm really confused. If the guitar is plugged into the POD and the POD is plugged into the amp's effect return, what is connected to the amp's effects send? And what is connected to the amp's main input?

If the guitar is plugged into the POD and the POD is plugged into the amp's effect return, what is connected to the amp's effects send? And what is connected to the amp's main input?

The answer to both questions is: Nothing. You only use the power section of your amp since the Pod replaces the pre-amp section of your amp. Or just use a power amp instead.

yup, nothing in either, like saber said

althought you COULD go guitar->pod pro->amp input

but the amp is then going to colour the sound from the pod, so you plug in to the effects loop return to get a truer sound of what the pod alone is making, but by bypassing the amp's preamp, you loose the tone and distortion from the amp, so you rely solely on the pod pro

@Daveq: If you are like me a non-believer in anything else then a good tube head with a matching 4x12 box then you have to think again. I rally love my 5150 and would never want to live without it. However recently I joined a coverband in order to make some money and they had a spare POD and offered me to use it. I only accepted because I play in 3 different bands and don't want move that 5150 THREE times a week. Now I really have tp admit that the POD sounds quite good. I really can live with it's sound and even play it live with the coverband. However the thing which the POD really lacks is dynamics/articulation. If you play with a hi-gain setting of the POD it makes nearly no difference how you hit a note or which guitar you play....

If you are like me a non-believer in anything else then a good tube head with a matching 4x12 box then you have to think again

Marcel - I don't know where you got that idea from. Digital distortion sounds horrible to me. I don't care if I play a solid state or tube amp - they both sound great to me. Maybe you are confusing digital with solid-state? A solid-state distortion would be something like a BOSS DS-1. A digital distortion would be something that comes from a digital multi-effects processor which uses DSP. That's the stuff that I don't care for - not solid-state.