3rd build - 6 string neck through single cut bass

That's the one. I'm sure that my lack of subtlety has its own charms, somewhere deep beneath the layers. :mellow:

I'd like to see how you demo this one when it's complete, Simon. You've clearly got a great ear for tones and how to achieve them with your gear and playing application. How have you found this part of the equation....? Building instruments from the bottom up makes the tone seeker chain a lot longer, but a lot more comprehensive.

Thanks Carl! I'm not a bass player so hopefully I'll do justice to it. 

To be honest I purely went for aesthetics when designing the three builds. I was lucky to achieve great tones. 

Like for the zebrano and qld maple guitar, I've not seen or heard any guitars like that. So it was a leap of faith and it turned out really well. 

YES! It's finally assembled! This project was the toughest ever and the most time consuming. I'm glad I pushed myself because the end product looks and sounds fantastic. 

Things I could've changed in retrospect:

1. Bigger lower horn cutaway. 
I have problems reaching the 24th frets on the bass side because the lower horn gets in the way. Clearly a design flaw, but I probably won't even reach those frets!

2. Left the control cover as it was without laminating an aluminium sheet. 
It was a pain trying to get the veneer to stick evenly onto the aluminium because it kept breaking and I had areas where the glue didn't contact the veneer. The aluminium also made it much heavier and I couldn't get the magnets to get a firm grip enough so I had to use some screws in the end. The cover held in place with the magnets but a gentle knock against the edge would make it fall off.

3. Straight string feed from the nut to the tuners
The A and D strings were at an angle going to the tuners, which isn't ideal. I designed it this way purely to get the tuners to line up nicely with the headstock edge and I neglected the string pull. I don't think it's a big deal on a bass without a tremolo unlike guitars, but I guess it's purely aesthetics. 

Anyway enough reflecting. Time for some pics!
IMG_20160730_133527_zpsyookd3yk.jpg
IMG_20160730_133534_zpsjjupnfzp.jpg
IMG_20160730_142826_zpsu0jkpoy2.jpg
IMG_20160730_142831_zpsnyzb1zrx.jpg

IMG_20160730_142839_zps6kxmsqns.jpg
IMG_20160730_142848_zpsndvnjoih.jpg
IMG_20160730_142903_zpsxuexnxze.jpg
IMG_20160730_142909_zpsfi592tre.jpg

• Like 1

Well it certainly looks like it plays the part. You must have had a lot of fun with this one! Please please please don't do any slap when you demo it.....hahaha.....it never demonstrates much of the tone of an instrument IMO; I should probably do demos for the instruments I build. Kind of difficult when my music gear sucks so badly, what with all money going into tools and whatnot.

The only thing I am not too much of a fan on are the pickups and the basic outline. The waist looks pretty wide, and I bet it weighs a fair bit! You're right about the string pull. It means nothing. Just stretch the strings in like you would any instrument to take any slack off the tuners or hanging through the nut.

Haha I'm terrible at slapping anyway so I won't be slapping much. 

What about the pickups specifically? The soapbars? 

Also another thing I would've changed would be to slim it down, like you pointed out. The waist is too broad and it's really heavy! 

And I would've removed more wood from the butt of the neck because the bridge sits too far from the edge in my opinion. 

I decided to go for the cheap wilkies because I was half expecting this project to fail so I didn't want to spend ten times the amount on some nice Aguilar ones. I may upgrade in the future now that is build exceeded my expectations. 

Also I'm not a bassist so I'd rather splurge on guitar parts instead. :D

There are a lot of things I REALLY like about this bass.  

Single cut basses are an acquired taste - and having designed and built one recently and it was interesting how polarised the views on the threads were!

But, there are some areas of real finesse on this.  I think the carve of the upper neck on the back - and the back generally - is sublime.  Wonderful stuff :)

The bit that shouts out to me for a tiny tweak is the bass-clef on the truss-rod cover.  Might be the photo but - compared with the very clean carve and inlay lines just about everywhere else, it looks like it just needs tidying up a bit.

Pickup wise, the EMG HZ passives are pretty good and I'm fairly sure they do a six string version (and the overall shape looks similar) but actually Wilkinsons do pack a decent bang for the buck.

Well done - fantastic effort and result 

• Like 1

Yes the inlayed bass cleft might have been a mistake! I free hand routed it and filled with epoxy. In retrospect should've just left it or made a decal. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to cut out more inlays out of abalone. 

I did consider the emg hz but the reviews weren't fantastic online and I couldn't find many demos. 

Thanks Andy. Trying to build a neck through with minimal tools was a pain in the arse. If I ever build another bass it will definitely be a bolt on. I like bolt ons because they're much simpler to make and you can always come back and adjust the neck angle. 

Also I agree with you that single cuts are an acquired taste. I used to find it weird last time but grew to like it, and eventually made one! 

10 hours ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Yes the inlayed bass cleft might have been a mistake! I free hand routed it and filled with epoxy. In retrospect should've just left it or made a decal. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to cut out more inlays out of abalone. 

I did consider the emg hz but the reviews weren't fantastic online and I couldn't find many demos. 

I think the concept and materials are fine.  Just the freehand rout needs to be a bit more precise, maybe with the rout tidied up with a scalpel.  I cheat on my routed truss rod covers....I don't fill them.  Visually hides a multitude of sins ;)

That would be a perfect job for my pantograph. I've been thinking about making a rough template with a coping saw and seeing how a slightly rough finish on a template translates through by reduction to an inlay. I suspect it will be pretty clean and precise.