3rd build - 6 string neck through single cut bass

With the terrible storms raining upon us in NSW, I couldn't spray any more coats of lacquer on my second project. Rather than waiting around doing nothing, I decided to start on my third project, wait for the rain to die down, then continue with the lacquer.

This is a rather ambitious build for me, but I've been thinking of how to build a neck through bass for months now - ever since I started my first project this idea has been popping up in my head non-stop! So I had to do it, with the limited tools that I have. 

For starters, I think the ideal way to build a multi-laminate neck through guitar would be to glue all the blanks together, profile them square and cut out the shape. However, since I don't have a bandsaw, planer or jointer, I have to make do with a lot of hand tools and simple power tools. Time to get creative!

For the bass, I plan to do 6 strings (5 strings was the original plan but why not have an extra string to play with? ;) ), with a narrower string spacing at 16mm at the bridge and a 52mm nut. I plan to taper the neck all the way to the body, ala Wynn bass style without the tapered laminates. I also grew to like single cut basses. 

Seeing that they weren't any plans for 6 string single cut basses, I had to design my own. 34" scale, 24 frets, with a tapered neck to body.

Enough of the rambling and here are some pictures!

bass%201_zpsjgf4by4l.png
bass%202_zpszbqpntr2.png
I later found out that the fretboard blank was too narrow, so I'll be using some rosewood binding to extend the edges plus that will help hide the fret tangs!

With my plans in hand, I traced the dimensions onto some MDF to make the headstock side profile template.
bass%203_zpstbsriov4.png

With the headstock template completed, I traced the outline and the dimensions of the neck and body onto my maple blank.
bass%209_zps6ug7jrur.png

Then cut it out to shape.
bass%2010_zpsw0rggjvn.png
bass%2011_zps18ugnqb9.png

To make the neck straight, going from 15mm at the first fret to 19mm at the 12th fret, I used a long straight piece of MDF as a template and routed. 
bass%2012_zpsshsrljtn.png
bass%2014_zps1n5ytzdh.png
And also cleaned up the headstock. You may notice I left a huge hump there. That will be the volute and I left plenty of meat so I can get creative and carve up something nice. 

bass%2015_zpsztrxnldf.png
Then I transferred the outline onto the mahogany blanks. Since the maple was thin, it started to warp a little but nothing too serious. 

Then I cut out the shape with a hand saw and a jig saw.
bass%2016_zpsnqib9ykb.png
bass%2019_zpsg2x9vpaa.png

Music helps keep me sane when cutting by hand.

bass%2017_zpsssm7jgr3.png
bass%2018_zpszyeuo1zq.png
The jigsaw struggles a bit with such thick wood, that's why I like to stay clear of the line, using relief holes and cuts, and let it rest after cutting for prolonged periods.

Cool! Ambitious! I like it!

Tapering the neck width all the way through the body solves the problem of having to carefully clean up and level that portion of neck-through body next to the fingerboard that is at the wrong level. I think it also adds to the visual effect of having the strings and neck fan out together. Personally, having the neck/body join be at 90 degrees to the pickups but having the strings hit at a fanned angle is one of those little things that bothers me and screams "machine" instead of "hand-made". So, good choice. 

Plus the adventures with hand-tools is interesting to follow. I currently have access to a pretty nice shop, but that's going to end in 2017 and I'll be left with nothing except a few router bits and a set of cabinet scrapers to my name. I don't think I can hand-turn router bits, so I'll be making basses with just the cabinet scrapers. (I kid, but it is good to pick up a few tricks that don't require large fancy machines).

Edited by a2k
typo
  • Like 1

Thanks Carl.

Sorry haven't been posting but I've done quite a fair bit of work.

After the glue dried, I had to clean up the laminates. For the headstock, I used my Shinto rasp to level the mahogany pieces, using the maple piece as the guide, since I had already shaped it to the correct size. I also used my orbital sander and a chisel to get the laminates flat.
bass%2027_zpsocblguay.png
bass%2028_zpsvsvxxa4k.png
bass%2029_zpso6phla6u.png

I could've built a jig to route it flat but I didn't have enough material. 

Now it was time to work on the fretboard. I printed out a template for a 34" scale bass and cut the slots with my Hosco pull saw.
bass%2032_zpsk4zcz3st.png

I had to make sure the slots were deeper to compensate for the radius later on because I was going to bind the fretboard. Because my plans call for a 79mm thickness at the 24th fret, and my fretboard was 75mm wide, I had to use some rosewood binding, 2mm each, to bring it to the correct width. 
bass%2033_zpsujfehdu3.png
The rosewood binding would also help to hide the ugly fret tangs. 

But before I could glue the binding on, I had to cut out the fretboard taper, taking into account the measurements without binding - 48mm at the nut and 75mm at the 24th fret.
bass%2034_zpshdluhctq.png

Then I cut out the fretboard with my jigsaw.
bass%2035_zpsm0dmyp0c.png

And tried to sand and plane the excess to the exact width.
bass%2036_zpsksyuma9i.png
bass%2037_zpsxua9i9zd.png

This took too long and I was already tired from all the fret slotting and sanding. So I used a straight edge and routed it with a flush trim bit.
bass%2039_zpszidyox9j.png

Edited by SIMpleONe89

Then I glued on the rosewood binding. I made a stupid mistake of trying to glue both at once. I saw a guy on youtube gluing the binding by driving the fretboard and binding into a wedge. I think I may have over done and one side of the binding wasn't flush with the bottom of the fretboard.
bass%2040_zpsemkjtfv7.png

In hindsight I should have done one first with super glue and binding tape. This is what happens when you try to rush things, let alone rushing something I've not done before!

Anyway it turned out fine because it was only 1mm off the fretboard base. I then sanded it flat without sacrificing much. The fretboard blank was 8mm to start with and I took it down to 7mm. 

After that, I proceeded to cut out the nut shelf.
bass%2041_zpsacfsmlra.png

Cleaned it up with a chisel and some files.
bass%2042_zpshkgtfguy.png

And now the nut sits perfectly. 
bass%2043_zpsim8b1bct.png

Thanks guys. All those big, expensive machines would surely make my life easier. Less suffering, but hey, who needs the gym? ;)

Ok now I'll show you how I did the neck taper without any big machines! It's not that hard really!

First, I had to mark out the measurements - 52mm at the nut, 79mm at the 24th fret.
bass%2044_zpsra8r4bpe.png
bass%2045_zpsvrpv20o3.png

Then I drew a straight line connecting both dots, all the way to the end of the blank.
bass%2046_zpsplooadrb.png

Then I cut out the taper, staying at least 1mm away from the line. It's funny how when I first started cutting out things with the jigsaw I cut at least 4-5mm from the line, but as I got more confident the distance shrank.
bass%2047_zpsa7tuquns.png

But of course I had to leave more room for error with the hand saw. My jigsaw isn't that great so I had to use the hand saw on the thicker parts. It heats up fast and the blade bends. 
bass%2048_zps10fz61sa.png
bass%2049_zpssznj0rtj.png

By the time I was done my arms were so sore. 

Edited by SIMpleONe89

Ok so I've been working on the neck for the past few days.

Did the truss rod channel.
IMG_20160614_115933_zps5w0f12hz.jpg

And the carbon fibre rods. These will help with the stability of the 6 string bass neck.
IMG_20160616_150922_zpsrsdcxfqb.jpg
IMG_20160616_150931_zpsqiark2kk.jpg

And I also glued on the headstock veneer, which is made of Wenge and Jarrah. I'll also add a blackwood veneer to the bottom once the neck is shaped. 
IMG_20160616_160212_zpsdlt0xphp.jpg

After the headstock veneer was glued on, I routed the truss rod access channel. I'll probably go with a flamed maple truss rod cover from the scrap I have lying around (literally lying around). 

Then I glued on the fretboard. To prevent it from slipping, I tried a new method of using toothpicks as locating pins. So I clamped the fretboard into position, drilled a 2mm hole in the fret slots at both ends of the fretboard through into the neck, and stuck a toothpick in. The frets will cover up the hole anyway.

Also, this time I didn't forget to remove the masking tape! ;)
IMG_20160617_110926_zpsmfx6jxow.jpg

Yep! I'd advise using a flat piece of scrap over the headstock when veneering to distribute pressure better though. That might be a little gappy or the glueline might show. I think the veneer is a bit thicker than what I would call veneer (<2mm) or maybe it could be called "constructional veneer", or better "headplate". Doesn't matter. I tend to think "thin" when veneer is mentioned....still, a caul is always a good idea!

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Yep! I'd advise using a flat piece of scrap over the headstock when veneering to distribute pressure better though. That might be a little gappy or the glueline might show. I think the veneer is a bit thicker than what I would call veneer (<2mm) or maybe it could be called "constructional veneer", or better "headplate". Doesn't matter. I tend to think "thin" when veneer is mentioned....still, a caul is always a good idea!

Oops! Should've used a caul. For now I've not seen any gaps but I'll definitely use a caul for the back of the headstock.