Swirling

syxxstring

I was also very frustrated figuring out how much paint to use,so I switched to model,hobby spraypaints(testors,boyds).Spray it on the water,make your design and dip.The paint goes on nice and thin.I've tried about every brand of rattle can out there and the above mentioned work the best IMO.Plus they have some cool metallic colors.Every so often I've come across a can that is mixed different and skins over upon contact with the water.Its best to experiment on scrap before you dip your guitar.I've had good results using cardboard to clean the paint off the surface of the water.If you wait for the paint to skin over-about 10 to 15 min.-it usually cleans up pretty good.Be prepared to spend some time experimenting with the process.It took me hours and hours of mistakes(unexpected learning) to get favorable results.I would like to try urethane paints as I have noticed enamels are a bit softer paint and limit clear coat choices. :D

Okay, I tried it today. Ill show pics, im happy considering:

1. I used 5 year old rc car paint(Pactra-Candy Purple and Indy Silver).

2. The body wasnt ready for a final finish, i just wanted to practice some.

3. It was my first try.

What I learned.

1. Go now reread the tutorial.

2. Use new paint!(duh, im off to the hobby shop)

3. Practice will be the key

4. Its not as scary as the swirling myth makes it seem.

I may resand this one and work on it more or clear it and keep it for a bit. The pink splotch is me trying some paint against the silver yesterday, it was too thick to float. I think the candy worked well because it was designed for airbrushing.

Let me know what you think, and what the heck to use for a pickguard if i keep it this way.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG