Second build-Jaguar/Mustang-ish bastard

I learned A LOT of lessons during my first build (which turned out okay btw). I have also acquired some better tools this time which should make this build go much more smoothly. I built my last guitar almost completely with hand tools. I still had some oak 1x4 and pine 2x8 left over from the last build ao that's what I'll be making this axe from. I will get a real fretboard this time, though.

Moving on; this build is a jaguar-inspired neck-through guitar with a 25.5" scale length, double cutaways with se carving, a belly cut and a forearm cutaway.

I just cut the neck out of a 1x4 and glued another 1x4 to the back of it for the center of the body. Then I joined 2 wings made from a 2x8 I got at home depot, cleaned the whole thing up a bit and did the rough carvings using a shinto rasp and a drum sander attachment for my power drill. Then, I routed the pickup cavities. So far it's looking pretty good and the shape feels very comfortable to play.

This is where I am currently:

20160722_163323-600x1067.jpg

I like the shape and grain patterns very much.  The neck to body transition is particularly attractive.

Things I would now be considering at this stage, if they are not already covered, are 

• How much drop can I achieve at the headstock from the nut to achieve a decent break angle
  • With a (presumably) zero neck angle, what type of bridge will I be using
  • How and where to drill the control routes (or maybe you channelled out the bottom oak piece before gluing it?)

I look forward to seeing this develop.  If it comes anywhere near your first build it will be a corker :)

• Like 1

If you're not coming up against any surprises, then you're not pushing yourself. :thumb:

Either that our you've become far more pre-emptive. Oak centre, eh? Just make sure it doesn't go moving on you. Kiln-dried woods tend to have built-in tensions, Oak being one of the more common ones that'll just lay down the law for you.

• Like 1

Aaaand I ran into an unforseen problem. I made a truss rod slotting jig (its ghetto as hell but it does work) only to realize that I couldn't route the bottom 5" or so because the body got in the way of the jig. I had to freehand the last couple inches. It isn't perfect but it's not bad, either. Lesson learned.

I also routed out the control cavity and drilled the jack hole which came out nicely. Then I started shaping the neck and cleaned up the carvings on the body with a drum sander drill attachment. 

I made a huge mistake on my guitar :(

I planed the neck down too narrow. I am planning on cutting the neck off, routing a neck pocket and making it a set neck guitar instead of a through body.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or are there better ways of going about this?

Edit: what if I cut the neck about 1/3 of the way from the body at a sharp angle and made a scarf joint? Would that also work? Would I need to use polyurethane glue to make it strong enough?

Edited by Lofteren

Did you make it too narrow or too thin? If it is too narrow scarfing on a piece 1/3 of the way out wouldn't help unless you changed the taper at that point. Probably not a good option. And in controlled tests, polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) always comes out on the bottom in strength of bond. I'd keep it away from your guitars.

Routing a neck pocket is a good safe option. You could always cut your wings off at the glue joint and make a neck through replacement as originally planned.

SR

Routed the truss rod and the taper on the neck this morning. Instead of using a handplane I used a straight edge and a router to carve the taper which worked exponentially better than hand tools (not to mention that it only a few minutes).

I left .5mm of leeway for sanding.

20160805_100313-480x853.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lofteren said:

I had the same thought so I made the headstock a little bit bigger on the second neck.

Is there anything else I could do that you think would help?

I'm not quite sure what the issue is...the proportions look OK to me if I understand what I think I'm looking at.

Do you have a photo of the body with the neck blank slotted in?

She's all clamped up! I had a pretty productive morning in regards to this project. 

I had to put a little bit of wood in the pickup cavity to stop the neck from tilting down when it was clamped, it will be routed out almost completely when I reroute it. There is a little bit of a gap along the back edge that will need to be filled. This shouldn't be too much of an issue because I am going to paint the back of the guitar anyway.

Before I glued the neck in I shaped the headstock by free handing with a router and then with a little filing.

I am not sure how to take down the headstock thickness and drill the truss rod access hole though. If any of you have some techniques you'd be willing to share I would appreciate it.

20160806_104047-480x853.jpg

20160806_104013-480x853.jpg

20160806_103952-480x853.jpg

19 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'm not quite sure what the issue is...the proportions look OK to me if I understand what I think I'm looking at.

Do you have a photo of the body with the neck blank slotted in?

I just thought it looked a little lopsided with the headstock being so small so I made it a little bigger this time.

Edited by Lofteren

It does look like that in the photo but they are the same size. I used the same template to route them both.

I discovered that a 1x4 isn't sufficiently thick to make a straight, fender style neck and headstock. I didn't run into this issue with the angled neck on my last build because I didn't have to shave away some of the headstock thickness to make room for the truss rod access hole.

So, I am going to have to veneer some wood onto the back of the headstock to beef up the thickness. 

Edited by Lofteren

I went ahead and finished shaping the neck (roughly) and got a piece of 1x4 red oak glued and clamped to the back of the headstock. This is going to require quite a bit of thinning so I will get at it with a router and finish it up with a shinto rasp or a plane in the morning. 

I was thinking of making the headstock a little thicker than normal and recessing some circles for the tuning machines. I just need to work out a way to achieve that as all of my drill bits are pieces of garbage and oak likes to splinter and tear out a lot more than maple or mahogany. Any ideas?

20160807_171134-480x853.jpg

20160807_171144-480x853.jpg

20160807_172622-480x853.jpg

9 hours ago, Lofteren said:

I was thinking of making the headstock a little thicker than normal and recessing some circles for the tuning machines. I just need to work out a way to achieve that as all of my drill bits are pieces of garbage and oak likes to splinter and tear out a lot more than maple or mahogany. Any ideas?

Hmmmm....that's a lot of bother - and difficult to get it looking right because all 6  holes and associated channels for the tuner shafts need to be identical for it to look anything like OK - and to what aim?

If I was going for circular, then personally I would use a good quality Forstner bit in a drill press, but I probably wouldn't do it at all (and I do some very crazy unconventional things from time to time!)  

If it was me, I would thin it down to the correct dimension for the tuners and leave it at that...