Lil Screamon Demon

daveq

The only single coil (or single coil sized) pickup that I own is in my RG550 which has a pickguard. I'm building a guitar that is going to have two of these (plus a HB) in it - with no pickguard. The mounting should be something like this.

Is there a difference between this type of mounting and "direct mounting" is this an example of direct mounting? I don't really care if I uses direct or not - I just want the damn things mounted. The pickups come with screws that look like they are intended for use with a pickguard (since they are marketed as strat replacements, I assume). Can I just put the tubing beneath them and use wood screws to screw into the body? Are the ears the only pieces that are supposed to be in contact with the wood or doesn't it matter?

thanks for your help,

dave

P.S. - gotta get me one of those hot chick avatars, I guess.

The pickups come with screws that look like they are intended for use with a pickguard (since they are marketed as strat replacements, I assume). Can I just put the tubing beneath them and use wood screws to screw into the body? Are the ears the only pieces that are supposed to be in contact with the wood or doesn't it matter?

I had one of these, great tone, just not hot enough for my tastes.

I beleive wes is right, most are mounted with a spring or that tubing underneath the ears. If you're going to rout to the exact depth and not use springs, then the only thing touching the guitar would be the magnet on the bottom of the plate of the pickup, the ears wouldn't touch the wood if i remember that pickup correctly, you can rout it funny so that the ears and magnet both contact, but the magnet is where you want to increase the mass if you're looking for a different tone especially since i think duncan's and dimarzio singles use plastic plates.

The screws, for direct mounting are usualy smaller then the ones that can tread into the pickup ears. by using smaller wood screws you'll save the thread on the ears so that the pickup can still be used later in a pickguard if you change your mind or try to sell it.

And lastlely, i'm not to sure how well pickguard screws would dig/ drive into the wood unless you drilled and threaded a pilot hole.