Neck thru blank?

I've been thinking about starting a new project using a neck thru neck blank.

Looks like Kiesel stopped making custom order necks, so i'm sourcing whats out there.

Any members who could build me a 25." scale maple paddle head blank with ebony board, dot inlays, neck binding, 12" radius?

You guys do pretty good work around here. Giving me a run for my money :0

Where are you located....I'm guessing the US? Having a neck made which I presume is including the profile, truss rod and fretwork can get costly from anybody. At this point, it's worth considering Warmoth however they don't do neck-through products from what I recall.

Do Stewmac still sell neck through blanks?

• Like 1

They used to have one in their product range, but it doesn't look like they offer it any more. I can only see bolt-on necks for sale at Stewmac.

Warmoth don't do neck-thru blanks either as far as I can tell; only bolt-ons. That's understandable, as they're in the business of selling pre-assembled components that are probably churned out on CNC. Any of their 'custom options' they offer will be from a library of well-proven CNC code blocks that they can just quickly pull together to match a customer's order. Keying themselves up for a whole batch of new necks based on a through-blank product is likely to be quite an expensive undertaking for them, especially since they will no longer be able to sell that neck in conjunction with one of their pre-routed body blanks as well. The chance of the follow-on sale of a body with one of their bolt-on necks is probably worth more than the sale of a single neck-thru blank. I'm sure Stewmac arrived at a similar conclusion when they dropped their neck-thru product.

@the_junior - You may have better luck if you directly engage a builder in your area, but I would think that a one-off neck thru blank is likely to be a fairly expensive item.

17 hours ago, the_junior said:

I've been thinking about starting a new project using a neck thru neck blank.

The blank is not a big deal to make by yourself. Getting a 4x4 of properly dried quality wood for a one-piece neck can be challenging but gluing three 1x4 planks for a laminated neck is pretty easy and the result often is more stable and durable. As your plan includes shaping the body and headstock and carving cavities for pickups and electronics you most likely have all the tools needed to carve the neck.

If the fretboard is what scares you there's a large variety available with slots, dots and binding, even radiused and fretted. The prices vary from a couple of tenners to a few hundreds. If I were you I'd choose an inexpensive one with slots and dots, maybe radiused as well and get a radiused sanding block for fine tuning the shape plus a fret press caul or a brass hammer.

For a self made maple/walnut/something similar blank and a fretboard the material costs should be well below $100 unless you choose AAA grade highly figured "tonewood".

• Like 2

• 6 months later...