DIY project: is it possible to fill a humbucker hole on a build kit

Hey guys, new hear, got a question regarding starting a custom build with a diy kit. With my limited options I cant do alot of home carving, so that leaves me with coming up with solutions. In this case I want to use a kit with 2 humbucker holes but fill in the neck hole and just use the bridge. Is this viable, any input would help

Hey , 

I see 2 options, depending on the type of finish you're aiming for:

1.If you'r going to finish it with a solid color paint job:  saw a piece of pine or other easily available wood in the shape of the pickup cavity, glue it in and fill up with flexible wood filler or two-component filler and then sand absolutely flat. This will then need serious priming to make sure you don't see the glue-lines throught the finish. I've done this on a few guitars with good result.

2. If you want a see-through burst or oiled finish: glue on a new top and cover the pickup-cavity with that. This will need some more woodwork and depends on the type of kit if it's possible. I've done this on a les paul copy once where I routed approx 5mm of the top of the body and then glued on a new flame maple top. You will need then to route/saw new holes for the neckpocket, bridge pu, controls.

or: option 3: make it an EVH frankenkit and just leave the neck-cavity open 😉

what kind of kit?  obviously if it's a typical strat/tele you could just get a pickguard w/o the neck hole.  If you are going for the 'single pickup look', well then that might require a bit more work.  as mentioned by 10pizza you could add a top... or you could just do a pickguard/cover for that pickup hole.  It'd be best to fill it in with wood but you COULD simply put a piece of cardboard in there and then fill it the rest of the way with epoxy.  You could then do a veneer over that. 

the possibilities are endless!

The quality of the end result is the key factor here. You won't get it 100% perfect in any instance since the wood will always move, and having any sort of cross-grain cut (the long edges of the humbucker rout) will telegraph through any sort of finish in no time. I did a tutorial a while back on converting a trem body to a hardtail which involves routing out the area you're infilling to be rectangular, then fitting a reasonably grain matched block of wood of the same type, then filling the seams with epoxy or whatever. Still, this will always telegraph.

I agree about fitting a new top (or a pickguard!). That's the only way to be entirely sure that it won't show. So yeah, it depends on how good you want it to be. It's possible to get it 90-95% perfect, but that takes significant time and work. Depends how badly you want it!

• Like 1