Ibanez Jem90th 7 string???

Guest AlexVDL

OK, I've seen the "green Strat with monkey grip" mentioned both here and on JEMsite.

Am I blind?

Where is there a green Strat in that pic???

I can see the Tom Anderson axe with the grip (and while it does have some green details on the body, it doesn't qualify as GREEN), and I can see a RED Strat. Heck, even Steve's old "stickered" Strat is in there.

But nothing green.............

Someone please show me the way!

:D

hmm, and the first guitars i noticed in the first pic is the non ibanez ones, and the second pic, I see right off the bat, A BASS!!!! and then right away after that a Fender 12 string strat, not to mention a les paul or 2 and a tele, and a I think way in the back a Ukelele, i think thats how u spell that, and then after I have taken a look again, I discover the 7 stringer you talked about, but Never ever a green strat with a Monkey grip, Im still puzzled "STEVE VAI owning something other than an Ibanez" wow, who have thunk that one B):D:D well for an electric, I would have expected acoustics and hollowbodied electrics, I would have figured Ibanez ones too, but I was surprised, even the Fender resonator stood out, but I have yet to eye that damned green strat!!!!! For the love of god why B):D:DB) (sad sobbing kicks in here)

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add about 7ender trems.......because that's what I play now.

1. You need 7ender bullet strings. They are designed to get stuck in the bridge and don't slip when you use the trem.

2. Every string change use a pencil to "grease" the groves in the nut and the saddles.

3. Raise the back of the bridge by 3mm (by unscrewing the trem spring claw - for the clueless)

4. Raise the 4 middle screws about 5mm so they don't touch the baseplate appart from inside the holes.

5. Adjust the 2 end screws to just about touch the baseplate (remember the baseplate is angled forward an there's 3mm gap at the back)

Use .010 gauge strings as they are more stable.

Don't rock the trem as if you have a Floyd. :D

50-100 cent drop and raise of pitch is easily achievable and the trem returns to whithin 2-3 cent to pitch in the worst case scenario and almost dead on most of the time.

Remember - just be gentle and you'll love your 7ender trem and your 7ender.

ilia

P.S. I'm very tempted to buy a GRX40 just to see how comparable to 7ender this could be.

My point is, why do they still use these "old model" trems on for instance $2000 custom shop models etc? From the 50's on there have been many modifications and major improments on the standard F style trems, so why don't use those?

Probably for the same reason that GM still uses pushrod V-8s in modern high performance cars.

Because they work.

I think this is the point when we might just agree to disagree. But the fact of the matter is, different people look for different things out of bridges. For you it might be rock solid tuning stability, for someone else it might be ease of use. You CAN set up a Fender style bridge to stay in tune very well (I've done it myself) and the Floyd on my one Fender guitar (Ironicaly, the only actual strat I have) is *HORRIBLE*, won't stay in tune even if you don't use it..

I think most people have certain tolerances that they'll accept and, lacking a strobe tuner hardwired into their heads, probably don't notice the slight detuning that happens with some trems as opposed to others.

i have to agree with alex in that the(double locking) floyds stay in tune very well and i don't think you can use a tremelo too much.i can dive bomb my lo pro on my sabre until the strings are completely slack,hit the 5th harmonic on the bottom 3 strings and pull the tremelo back all the way to the body and vibrato back to standard bridge position and still be completely in tune as long as my strings are properly stretched and not too old.they do break sometimes though.i think rollers on the saddles would help that.i have no opinion on the fender though as i am not a fan.the reason being i feel the need to pull those slayer style hell-bombs.i have been to alex's website though and i must say he uses his tremelo very well.i was extremely impressed with his satriani covers.that is really you playing on those is it not alex?but i am 99%sure that for that style of playing the floyd is superior(my opinion)i do enjoy the way stevie ray used his fender though,but he was one in a million.i guess it all goes back to personal preference.some people believe 24 frets are too many.some ignore the extra musical expression a tremelo brings all together.when i first started playing i was convinced a tremelo was a waste of time but the better i got with one the more i came to love and respect it.just my 2 cents.i hope i don't offend.

agreed.personally though i see tremendous beauty in the complexities of the floyd.and have you seen the kahler flatmount?a work of art in my opinion.i am going to try one out on my next project(a neck thru v )and i may have to change my preference.it seems like a more ingenious design.i guess i will see.