Ambitious project

Ouch! What did he do, sit on it?

The bass side cracks don't look too bad but the soundpost poking through the treble side isn't that easy to fix! The soundpost makes it easier to get glue into the crack but fixing that bruised endgrain isn't going to be easy.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, Bizman62 said:

Ouch! What did he do, sit on it?

Yeah I don't know the full details but he fell on it, and he ain't a small guy

I'm not sure that I will even touch it but they think replacing the whole top is the way to go. Your suggestions are giving me ideas though. I don't know why the sound post has to be on the treble side but what if I repaired it and made it a lefty? so the sound post is on the other side

12 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Your suggestions are giving me ideas though. I don't know why the sound post has to be on the treble side

I've looked to a few hundred Rosa String Works videos where Jerry fixes cracks like that on all kind of stringed instruments. And the sound post should be on the treble side, that's another tidbit I've learned there.

Based on those vids and common sense I'd say try to get the longitudinal cracks simply glued as they don't seem to be under stress i.e. they stay closed and level. That glue joint should then be stronger than the surrounding wood. For the soundpost area I'd first try to use the post to my advantage, trying to get glue to every tiny crack with a brush and maybe compressed air. And as I said, getting the bruised ends meet is the hardest task. Then when that has been stabilized level I'd put a large cleat made of some good hardwood like padauk underneath. Or maybe rather three veneers so that one is along the grain and the other two slightly angled - like an elongated star or snowflake. And then finally shorten the sound post to the new length.

If you make it a lefty the sound post should then go to the other side. But will the landlord's daughter learn to play a lefty?

5 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

If you make it a lefty the sound post should then go to the other side. But will the landlord's daughter learn to play a lefty?

Wouldn't be for her, she's got a replacement from insurance. I'm thinking more along the lines of selling it. However it would be good for her to have a back-up

6 minutes ago, Crusader said:

However it would be good for her to have a back-up

A campfire cello...

We talk about "campfire guitars" meaning an instrument of less value that can be abused - you know, spilling your beer into it, roasting it too close to the fire and forgetting it in the rain... Don't know if my word to word translation is correct or not but you get the idea.

Yet another idea for the soundpost area in case the less destructive methods don't work: Replace the broken area! Cut from the f-hole to the bottom and carve a new slice of spruce. The hardest part may be to carve the inside as you most likely don't want to have a stiff bar instead a uniform thin top, but you should get that close enough by matching it with the top and then glue it to the right depth for being able to match the thickness.

kuva.png.4727e01d9c8d8da2ea327b3c82c1b78f.png

Another thing is that you can't make a cello lefthanded by just putting the soundpost on the other side. There's a longitudinal bracing called a bass bar on the bass side. More info about lefty cellos in https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/3034/what-are-the-differences-for-left-handed-person-when-playing-electric-cello

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

holy sheep shit... that does look ambitious.  wil be interesting to see how this plays out.  would seem you'd need to disconnect the top to fix that... but I know nothing.  best of luck!  will be rooting for you.

• Like 1