Ex-style 7-string

3 hours ago, nakedzen said:

Body is really thin, only 30mm or so.

I'm a fan of skinnier-than-usual guitars too, but I will say to take care with your planning when using such thin pieces for your body. When you get that thin you start limiting what you can get away with inside the electronics cavity. A right angle Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch for example is 22mm tall from the shoulder of the mounting post the the bottom of the switch frame, which sounds OK inside a 30mm body. But you lose some of that depth if you want to recess the back coverplate into the body (2-3mm?) plus the thickness of the front cavity wall where the switch collar pokes through (3-4mm?). That only leaves barely enough clearance inside the cavity for the switch to fit inside without bottoming out on the rear cover. You'd never get a blade-style switch or push-pull pots to fit inside either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakedzen said:

Yeah that's why I'm thinking single vol/pu only.

Gotcha. I just saw the pencil outlines you'd added to the body and saw two pickups drawn on there. My comment was meant to be more general though - watch out for sneaky things like pickups that require extra depth routed for the mounting ears or the magnetic slugs poking out the back of the baseplate, or neck mounting screws being too long.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, curtisa said:

watch out for sneaky things like pickups that require extra depth routed for the mounting ears

I just came across that with the Mockingbird I am working on, 31mm body (maybe 30mm after all the sanding) and I had to chisel out extra depth for the pickups, was getting very close, probably around 4mm to spare 🤣

• Like 1