New member, My first playable guitar.

At 12 my older brother played guitar and I wanted one.

My farther had a wood-shop with all home made machines. A shaper, Band-saw, Table-saw, Spindle-saw, etc.

I figured I could make my own and after three attempts at 14 back in 1972 I made a somewhat playable guitar. 

I made it out of Mahogany that was pulled from Yachts that were donated to the Navy during WW2 and used Gibson parts.

I had a "Gibson Vibrola tailpiece" which I hated due to all strings going out of tune if a string broke.

15.jpg

20.jpg

• Like 3

That's a nice one for a first build! Referring to our discussion in the other thread I can see what you mean by rather creating something original than copying an existing model. That one fits the category. There's elements of at least two guitars I can recognize but it's not a copy. Well done! Hopefully we'll see more of your builds soon.

3 hours ago, Crusader said:

Reminds me of my first two builds. These are made of Western Australian Jarrah. Early settlers called it "Swan River Mahogany"

Nice, did you finish them?

Here's a photo of my dad's shop when I was 17. The band-saw was made out of plywood. you can see 3 guitars I was building.

Dads shop1975.jpg