Big V Build Attempt

6 hours ago, henrim said:

I ground a saw tooth pattern to one edge of the gauges I needed, and sharpened them

Jerry Rosa who is one of the builders whose videos seem to make sense to me uses a razor saw for cutting fret slots, both the wide and narrow ones. He explains he's using it as a file, rocking it from side to side to widen the slots and make the bottoms round. And that it allows for slightly moving the slot if it seems to be a hair too close to the next one.

Just another alternative for an expensive dedicated file set.

That method might work well for starting slots, that's for sure. If the razor saw can define a very specific location and lead-off angle, great. I wouldn't trust it to produce an accurate slot by malforming the cutting action outside of the tools designed purpose. Pressure on saw plates that thin quickly start deforming them, making them harder to work with when producing straight cuts in future!

Tru dat. Then again, he has used the same saw for decades until recently having (partially) switched to nut slotting files. That must be hundreds or even thousands of nuts!

I couldn't find the video where he explains his technique in detail and also telling the history of his saw, but there is at least one. Here it's sped up:

https://youtu.be/jZ78TQeUsCk?t=925

Greatly appreciate the input. The filed feelers worked great! .020" at the first fret, .060" at the 12th, with .010" of relief on the high E and .012" on the low. 

Tried leveling out the ramp at the high frets but I'm out of material to take off. Considering I don't really play above 17 on the bass side I'll live with it for now, and at some point in the future I'll fix it for reals.

Re Prostheta on the last page: All of the woodworking, neck shaping aside, has been done in sub-freezing temperatures in an uninsulated garage - far from ideal, and I expect some movement after each change to the piece. Shaping was a big bite so I'm not too surprised or torn up. 

I don't really notice neck shape when I play, so I was happy with it thicker, but I needed less stiffness for proper relief - not going for a specific profile or anything.

I'm not interested in making a bolt-on for now. I'm confident that I'll resolve these issues and any I may have moving forward. In spite of them, I'll consider this build a success (presuming I don't set it on fire during finishing).

croc_1676647141644.thumb.jpg.c8a8bc611223e592a3c5f3753b8c55e4.jpg

I'd hoped to avoid it but here I am. Ramp at the end is just about dealt with, and a heat session yesterday has taken care of the rest of the unevenness down the neck. Earliest I can pick up the rest of my fretwire is Monday so I have some time to triple-check and sand up to snuff.

• 2 weeks later...

croc_1677505503580.thumb.jpg.da32b804a185860e9456a715f7f9a668.jpg

A week after I applied the teak oil it still reeks. I think it needs some touching up but I might wait a few more days then switch to shellac - I'm very sensitive to smells and I'm itching to get back to finishing this instead of playing my other guitar. Playing is the worst part!!

The neck is straight now, by the way - according to my homemade notched straightedge. I expect I'll have much more success setting it up this time.

Edited by ghostdive
Forgot a second detail.

• 2 weeks later...

croc_1678377868785.thumb.jpg.1304a91541499077e5b53df9e167bb7e.jpg

Calling it done for the time being. Overall I'm pleased, it's very fun and inspiring to play! Definitely have some little tweaks to do but not right now. I had more trouble than I'd like to get into with the wiring, but in my defense, the components I cooked were already well-done from my poor soldering skills in 2015 or whenever it was. 

Nitpicks:

-Intonation is sharp; I suspect the neck moved back a couple millimeters when I glued it, so next build I'll drill for the posts after that step. I may and likely will fill the holes and redrill in the future, but it doesn't affect the sound terribly as-is.

-Jack is not in a good spot. I didn't have any better ideas and I'll live with it (I usually play standing anyway) but moving forward I'll work out a better solution.

-Due to the string angles I'm winding half of the strings the opposite direction; it's mildly annoying and I wish I had a solution. I considered switching to 3x3 tuners but I think there would be a weird-looking gap in the keys and the eyes for the screws might collide on the back. It's minor. I think altering the geometry for this headstock shape on future builds will remedy my issues.

-Neck is a little thin for my liking. It's more fun to play than any of the other guitars around me, but I like a bit more meat it seems. I didn't consider myself someone who cares about neck shape until now.

I may record a small demo at some point, but you get the idea, it's a guitar!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crusader said:

Interesting build! and did you say Motorbikes?

1985 XR600 and 1988CR500

My dad used to ride XRs back in the 80's and has always been pretty obsessed with them! There's something about those rugged beasts

• Like 1