Mandolin build

• 2 months later...

Progress report on this one... first off, in making the laminate neck I found that the tabletop I'd been sold as rosewood wasn't after all, on sawing into it I found it was mahogany. Oh well, I can still make use of it. I also over-thinned it in places when planing down, but fortunately the most obvious edge gap will end up under the headstock veneer:

2023-03-19-0439.thumb.jpg.088994d60a9c1cb95ccac35ca68f196b.jpg

I made a simple guide for cutting the scarf to 15 degrees, some blocks glued to a bit of ply. Sharpened up the tenon saw, which is probably twice as old as I am but a good quality Sheffield-made one.

2023-03-19-0441.thumb.jpg.1cd270eb20510d2c5db50360ce896e94.jpg

On with the cut...

2023-03-19-0442.thumb.jpg.f6469babfbfc24baf3d50e9856cc33a1.jpg

Not a perfect result, looks like it didn't stay completely vertical and there's a little tear-out on the bottom edge but planing will fettle the first one and I think the torn bit will be  coming off in shaping, so OK for a novice I reckon!

2023-03-19-0443.thumb.jpg.d5f580f4734225b41f62c549b7328340.jpg

I've also glued the back pieces together, and gone for a low-tech approach. I'll take the string off tomorrow and see how well the glue's stuck but hopefully the wedges have upped the tension to a sufficient level. The blocks holding the backpieces level have had waxed paper sellotaped on to them to stop them sticking to the rosewood.

2023-03-19-0444.thumb.jpg.a699e8e6c72b98e3ae7ead6050baf8c2.jpg

Finally, here's one I did earlier - the headstock veneer glued up with the central strip and marked out, pilot holes for the tuners drilled by hand with a pin vice. Unfortuately, I found there were a couple of worm holes, I think one will likely be under a tuner bushing but I'll sand a little off one of the edges and mix it with glue for a filler.

2023-03-19-0446.thumb.jpg.6efacabb45007b0ad9637a613a4e11b6.jpg

• Like 2

Sometimes, you just want to channel your inner Father Jack and shout rude words very loudly... I've just realised I put the wrong strip of rosewood in the centre of the back and it's too narrow! Guess I'll have to take it apart again and redo with the correct, slightly wider strip but at least I know the string and wedge approach gives a decent joint.

I have however dealt with the wormholes, a little filing dust and glue has gone in and hopefully won't be too obvious.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Professor Woozle said:

Sometimes, you just want to channel your inner Father Jack and shout rude words very loudly... I've just realised I put the wrong strip of rosewood in the centre of the back and it's too narrow! Guess I'll have to take it apart again and redo with the correct, slightly wider strip but at least I know the string and wedge approach gives a decent joint.

I have however dealt with the wormholes, a little filing dust and glue has gone in and hopefully won't be too obvious.

"father jack"... oh feck.  gonna have to watch some of his stuff.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Professor Woozle said:

Yes, "Father Ted" was an absolute classic comedy, and such a shame Dermot Morgan's untimely death made sure there never would be any more. It's my intention to turn into Father Jack in my old age, spend my days propped up in a chair with a plentiful supply of whisky, swearing loudly at inappropriate times!

hehe it's good to have goals!  

• 1 month later...

Not had a great deal of time to work on  this of late, but a little progress -  put the wings on the headstock

Started planing down the gluing surfaces for the scarf (and managed to plane the top off a fingernail while doing this!) and discovered that the reason the cut wasn't true is that I hadn't squared the block properly before cutting. I'll correct this with the planing, I'll probably also glue the headstock veneer on, cut to shape and drill the tuner holes before gluing up, probably do the tenon dovetail too.

Next job will be to redo the back, I've got some bits on rosewood to cut so that this time, the back is sufficiently wide...

2023-04-28-0467.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

May and June ended up being largely a write-off for actually doing anything due to my wife being hospitalised after a heart attack (she's home and recovering fine, BTW) but I've managed to get going on this again, and another long-running project I really ought to start a thread on the inlay chat about! Anyway... the mandolin build is finally progressing, I got the neck pieces glued.

The slightly skewed cut is still causing issues but I'm correcting it with planing, and I'm starting to shape the neck with spokeshaves. Other side projects are ongoing, @henrim's mention of making  a fret rocker out of scrap stainless reminded me i've got a load of 50mm x 6mm bar offcuts in the garage , so I've made my own, I'm making a couple of hoofpicks out of that and offcut black walnut, and mending my wife's good anglepoise lamp - the lamp clamps were pot metal which broke on the narrow points so I'm making replacements out of stainless.

The neck is slowly taking shape, I still need to cut the neck dovetail. Also need to re-glue the back and joint and glue the soundboard, I've got the body mould partly done, needs final shaping and I also need to find a bit of suitable steel pipe to make the bender, an old inspection lamp with an incandescent bulb will provide the heat.

The holes on the fretboard face are where I used a couple of small screws to stop slippage during clamping - they'll disappear when I cut the slot for the  carbon fibre neck reinforcement.

2023-07-09-0506.jpg

2023-07-09-0507.jpg

2023-07-10-0509.jpg

2023-07-10-0510.jpg

2023-07-10-0511.jpg

• Like 1

On non-structural pieces wormholes just add character. Not that my two cents mean anything.

For a long time, I've wanted to make a 1/2 scale acoustic guitar shaped like a mandolin. The small body would look silly with the wide guitar neck, but so what. I've -zero- interest in learning another instrument. A 12'-16' acoustic guitar would be an interesting project. I could easily make it like an 8-string mandolin and just tune it like a guitar. 

Anyway, it's good to see something other than a guitar being built.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, Professor Woozle said:

May and June ended up being largely a write-off for actually doing anything due to my wife being hospitalised after a heart attack (she's home and recovering fine, BTW) 

2023-07-10-0511.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's ha.  I have been there in more ways than one.  Had to take my wife to hospital this am because she was having back pain that was making her unable to breath (she's fine now).  This is not about me... but I also had a heart attack... but it wasn't so bad compared to sitting on the sidelines and feeling useless while your significant other is suffering.  I'm sorry you had to go thru that as well.

Building things is a nice distraction from all that!  Looks like your neck is coming along nice.  Good job.  Keep well (the both of you).

Thank you - we were fortunate that the ambulance got to us within half an hour, so she got prompt attention, and glad to hear your wife is OK . Yes, having things to work on is good to take your mind off other troubles - just sanded and oiled the hoofpick handles you can partly see and boy, does that black walnut look nice when oiled. Since they're made out of offcuts from the side wing pieces I got for the Rick build, I'm thinking that an oil finish would look pretty good on that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Professor Woozle said:

Thank you - we were fortunate that the ambulance got to us within half an hour, so she got prompt attention, and glad to hear your wife is OK . Yes, having things to work on is good to take your mind off other troubles - just sanded and oiled the hoofpick handles you can partly see and boy, does that black walnut look nice when oiled. Since they're made out of offcuts from the side wing pieces I got for the Rick build, I'm thinking that an oil finish would look pretty good on that.

right on, always: walnut for the win!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress - decided I wanted a deeper body at the neck than the plans I'd been using, so I glued an offcut onto the neck heel. With that roughly shaped, time to cut the dovetail tenon:
2023-07-22-0514.thumb.jpg.67e530cf6cdf9bc4bc1ea90414544128.jpg

2023-07-22-0515.thumb.jpg.4376288da8bbbf555ec8d9baadf5bb8a.jpging

Looking at sorting out the back next, I need to cut one of my offcut pieces of Brazilian in two to get the back wide enough, then glue it all together. I've got a centre strip ready. There's also the heel block to do, I'm on the process of getting  that squared up then I'll cut the mortice.

• 5 weeks later...

Progress is still slow due to shortage of time and energy, but I've done a few bits. Cut out the mortice for the heel block by doing the side cuts with a tenon saw, then joining up using a jewellers saw - I want the offcut to bolster the sides, hence not just whacking it out with a chisel.

2023-08-15-0520.thumb.jpg.3fb891496616833874e461385f66c9cb.jpg

Got a bit of carbon fibre for the new reinforcement, and started cutting the slot for it. I marked out and scored side lines with a scalpel before cutting the slot sides with the tenon saw. Something went wrong somewhere as the slot has gone off-centre. Oh well, I've got some bits of veneer kicking around that I can use for packing on the overcut side when I glue the CF rod in.
2023-08-20-0524.thumb.jpg.64fc60bf505dba3edbc524981142e2f5.jpg2023-08-20-0527.thumb.jpg.e89d6d37155847cf6a80cde297b37899.jpg2023-08-20-0528.thumb.jpg.92537f30aebe5b3095d33884b1c8df83.jpg

That last shot shows one annoying thing that's shown up, namely a shake in the wood. I guess wicking thin CA glue in would stain the surrounding wood, and having laminated the neck I hope it won't move more when strung so I'll probably leave it alone.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ages since I posted an update on this, progress has been pretty glacial... the slot was slightly off, so I had to glue a sliver of mahogany into one side to correct it. With the slot right, I masked off then epoxied the CF rod into place, using the offcut as a clamping caul.20231231_204136.thumb.jpg.e43c5671403b76aba826997b6ea614d5.jpg20231231_205309.thumb.jpg.f8f674747b4e512218ec86bb39ccc003.jpg

I then glued a strip of mahogany veneer over the slot and sanded back. Next job is remark the centre line, check and re-check, then glue the headstock plate on and cut the tenon to its final profile20240114_201027.thumb.jpg.07c1d67267552b60f1a0816091d932db.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

There are glaciers retreating faster than this build is progressing (largely thanks to work being a total nightmare at the moment), but here's a bit of new stuff with putting the headstock veneer on. Firstly, pinned/taped in place, but I should have been looking a bit more carefully at this point - can you see what's not quite right here?

20240405_101437.thumb.jpg.5f637e8b1636becb1ac2a6c4c0c82d61.jpg

I didn't spot it, so on with the glueing and clamping...

20240405_101316.thumb.jpg.c84564a655dd005146f5d4fe526515fd.jpg

On getting the clamps off I then notice the slippage, and the centre strip is off the centre line on the neck by about 1mm. To quote Father Jack, "ARSE!"

20240410_095539.thumb.jpg.dd5b51bca975e107d2cf7fd3a6202923.jpg

Okay.... I can try and take it off, risking breaking the thin Brazilian Rosewood or I can live with it. Since the idea behind this was to build something that was little sister to the cittern, and that has a truss rod cover, I'm thinking a fake  truss rod cover would mask the centre strip being slightly out by the nut, as you'll no longer be reckoning its position relative to the strings on the nut.
Another thing I've done is a slightly unusual volute, the whole headstock ended up with a keeled profile after I cut a bit too deep on one side with the  spokeshave. This build is really going to be one big creative mistake fixing exercise...

20240405_101514.thumb.jpg.8bb123cf6355760da47d7f31f2cf85d7.jpg

I've also made up some cardboard templates, one for half the body and one for the headstock:

20240410_095638.thumb.jpg.a34e2a04cf7b1aeda6dfeff5f223baa1.jpg

The other thing I'm looking into is bending the sides. I found I had a Murray McDonald tin case  from a long-since drunk Caol Ila, and an old garage  inspection lamp - marry the two up with a heat bulb and that will do the job. Or, it will when I've worked out a way to mount the tube on the lamp base as it has a rubber surround which won't take kindly to hot metal!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Professor Woozle said:

The other thing I'm looking into is bending the sides. I found I had a Murray McDonald tin case  from a long-since drunk Caol Ila, and an old garage  inspection lamp - marry the two up with a heat bulb and that will do the job. Or, it will when I've worked out a way to mount the tube on the lamp base as it has a rubber surround which won't take kindly to hot metal!

I'll be interested how you get on.  The only problem might be that the thin tin won't be able to retain much heat and the dampened wood will quickly cool it.  As such, you will be very dependent on how much heat the lamp is kicking out.   Good to see this progressing - the headstock plate will look fine :)