Can't tell what i've done incorrectly

GuitarGuy2023

I'm struggling greatly with properly wiring my project here. I've taken a picture to show what i've wired (btw, my sodering skills are horrid I know). Any chance anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong here? The project is a tele type guitar with a musiclily control plate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYD3SAS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1 I'm attaching my photo

IMG_1054-2.jpg

something like this.... you really need to take several pictures.  better shots of the connections on the 3 way and the pot.  

i assume red is the live to jack (to middle lug on vol pot), then lug 3 on vol goes to middle on 3 way (yellow)... and yellow and white are to your pickups... so if that's the case right there you should hear something assuming the jack is wired right and not grounding out on the cavity (common).

Yes. I built this guitar. I wired it per the instructions shown on the amazon product page, and from what I can tell its accurate, but I get no response when plugged in. Interestingly enough I was doing 2 guitars simultaneously and the other (wired exactly the same as this one), also gets no response when plugged in. I plug in and there is literally zero electronic response being picked up. 

Hopefully this helps a bit more. I am going to get some more photos as well and post here.

No sound often is related to a short to ground. One culprit can be the copper tape: If any of the bare wires/solderings touch the wire, that may be the cause. It's easy to test: If you get sound with the control panel outside the cavity, you can tell for sure that the copper is touching something.

Another potential culprit is that if you've covered the jack hole with copper, the hot lug may touch the copper and ground it. Again, simply unscrew the jack and pull it out.

Ask me how I know...

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 12:56 AM, Bizman62 said:

No sound often is related to a short to ground. One culprit can be the copper tape: If any of the bare wires/solderings touch the wire, that may be the cause. It's easy to test: If you get sound with the control panel outside the cavity, you can tell for sure that the copper is touching something.

Another potential culprit is that if you've covered the jack hole with copper, the hot lug may touch the copper and ground it. Again, simply unscrew the jack and pull it out.

Ask me how I know...

I had the same issue and the copper tape was the culprit. Took it out of the control cavity and everything worked fine. 

no offence but I wouldn't recommend taking out your copper tape or anything until you know that's the problem.  don't chase your tail. 

plug into a cheap amp and take a screwdriver and tap it at the live contact on the jack... if you don't get sound then the problem is there at the jack.  sometimes a jack will make contact with wood and short to ground... so take the jack out and let it hang loose while the cord is plugged in... if it all the sudden works that will zero you in on that area.  if you do get sound tapping... then tap further up the chain (usually the vol live depending on the layout)  anywhere you have live... if you tap it with metal... it would ground it through you and you should hear that through the amp.  don't use an expensive amp as the tapping might stress your speaker.  i use a battery amp for such testing.

another common mistake is simply mistaking the live for ground and visa versa on the jack.  double check that the shield is neg and the prong is where your positive from the volume (or switch depending on order of your layout).  rule out these simple things first and respond and we'll def help.

also... again... take pictures of the jack outside the guitar, take detailed pics of the switch, the wires from the pickups... etc.