Something rough and utilitarian

As in it's a tool, not an instrument. I wanted to make something that makes swapping pickups a breeze so I can test my new winds. Happened to have some pine blanks that the fatherinlaw gave me, and a roughed out maple neck and fretboard. It'll have some kind of a simple system to change the pickup position on the pickguard. Rails or something, we'll see.

20230313_170409.thumb.jpg.2726a397e49d134e3abb404b367357f1.jpg

• Like 2

BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE..........

Make another body. Cut a hole clean through the body for the pickups & control cavity. Mount the controls on the face, but rig up a way to hold the pups in place. You won't even need a backplate as this is JUST to test the pups. Doing it all from the back will make the swaps a hellofalot easier. You won't have to remove the strings or pickguard. Easier access is one of the keys to what you're trying to accomplish here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nakedzen said:

The sliding pickups rails wouldn't be possible for a back cavity I think?

Why not?

My cheap greenhouse is made out of aluminium profile with square C grooves. You can slide either a bolt or a nut into the groove through a larger opening, the groove is snug enough to prevent it from rotating during tightening. Something like this:'

image.png.663cf0ec09ea5f157f992b8210ccb355.png

• Like 1

Well that would work. But would go against the "quick and dirty, only parts what I already have" for this build. I won't make a whole new body for that! :D

In other news, the back of the headstock will have a flamed birch veneer. And not at all because I made the headstock 0.5mm too thin for the tuners. 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nakedzen said:

"quick and dirty, only parts what I already have"

In that case, a hole through the entire body and the slider slots through the pickguard like you described. That should allow for changing pickups without removing strings.

• Like 1

Cool idea! It'd be fun to analyse the clean output from the pickup, plot graphs and draw trends... As my scientific mind gets carried away, you could even add a stepper motor, replace pickups quickly using John's idea, and build a fantastically hi-res database of many different pickups response to positioning, and sell the data back to the manufacturers! 

T-Track.

- Jam

• Like 1