The Zenith - Acoustic Guitar

Time to start thinking about my first acoustic guitar build.I think I've got a theme going here. 😁 This one will utilize the same basic body profile and other 'family' cues that I've used in my previous Zenith titled builds.

This build will likely be even slower than is typical for me, as, well, life is just busy right now. Not to mention I'll have to buy/build more jigs and tools than normal for this one. But I wanted to go ahead and start the thread to have a place to keep things updated. 

So here is the initial design. It's small bodied, with a double x braced top. I'm currently considering doing laminated sides as well. Interior walnut that is kerfed all the way through . It's an interesting technique that I've seen. Most solid laminated sides require vacuum bagging as part of the process, and I don't plan on going there.

Here's the basic plan:

509787750_ZenithAcousticDesign-1A.thumb.jpg.c6c28e27bcec93fc6093a9c65518d825.jpg

I've already made the neck blank for it. A 7 piece laminate of walnut, flamed maple, and cherry:

PXL_20230220_220436294.thumb.jpg.a498d0a60dfe3cfe6288414d98862d89.jpg

The back and sides will be Ovangkol:

PXL_20230228_200730867.thumb.jpg.554d6937699b5f53d8c04ca651f10c19.jpg

The top will be western red cedar. This particular top has some pretty wide pink stripes that I like. I've also got a second top that is a bit more uniform, with more dark streaks, if I change my mind:

PXL_20230307_172415564.thumb.jpg.60772dbb82d69283788d44ad0b2e098d.jpg

As far as binding, fretboard, headplate, etc, I haven't decided yet. I'll play it by ear a bit, give it some thought, and see how things look as I progress.

Excited to add some new skills and try some new things with this one!

• Like 3

Oh wow! That's going to be stunning!

Ovangkol is funny, it often looks quite dull and grey despite all the figuration. But with an amber coloured finish like BLO it gets a pleasing deep honey-y glow.

Laminated necks - which are somewhat of my trade mark as well - make me think of Ollivander's Magic Wands, the ingredients carefully chosen to match the magician's nature. Yours looks very delicious, the striped maple in the middle proudly tells that here's the channel that transports all vibrations to the sound chamber.

Despite the double-X bracing I'm tempted to suggest a larger bridge plate. That's based to Jerry Rosa's experience about bulging or sagging tops - sort of a precaution for problems your heirs might encounter after you've gone.

• Like 1