Polishing wheel residue

Hello,

I am a somewhat intermediate builder and I have a strange problem with a new neck that I am polishing on a standard cotton wheel. THe results are great when I was polishing the back and any area not touched by the frets. As soon as polished the fretboard, the polishign compound reacted with the frets and spread this grey residue all over the neck and the wheel. I have never had this happen. I used a beeswax/orange oil conditioner that is used by woodturners. 

Later, I was tryign to hand polish the fretboard that I had since cleaned the residue off (grey) and the polishign compound is touching the frets as I do the fretboard and more of this grey/black residue is coming off on the rag. How do I get rid of this residue so that when I polish using a wheel or by hand that the residue does not spread and get on everything?

Thanks,

Glen

When polishing frets it's common practice to mask the fretboard and the edge of the neck to prevent the metal slurry from staining the wooden parts. It's not actually about the compound reacting with the frets if you're thinking about a chemical reaction. The compound is a semi-solid abrasive so using it can be compared to wet sanding which does exactly the same.

For the same reason the fretboard is often polished before hammering the frets in.

If you have a finish on the fretboard you can apply the same finish on the frets as well to prevent the metal from being polished. When you're happy with the finish, mask the fretboard, scrape the frets clean and polish them. That should keep your neck and fretboard clean.

I don't use a big wheel, but use dremel and polish wheels when polishing my frets and I'll confirm what biz said - he's spot on.  I use macguiars and when buffing the body it all is fine and white but polishing the frets I have it all taped off because that compound turns grey and gets in every nook and cranny.  Once you get it on the fretboard and under the frets it is almost impossible to get off altho a damp rag will remove most of it.  

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick responses. I actually meant I am polishing the fingerboard wood with the wheel. It is a maple fingerboard. The frets are unexposed. During the polishing, it is impossible not to have frets being polished at the same time as the wood, so all the black dirt from the frets spread alll over the fingerboard, making it look terrible. I was able to wipe that off. So, yes of course, when I do polish frets, I always mask the wood. I tried 2 different polish and had the same problem of the wood getting dirty. 

I tried:

Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 (which says cutting number 3, light)

And Howard Feed N Wax:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/349299748191985815?lsf=seller:1135568,store:17659923137995067923,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:12833318350763213953&q=furniture+cleaners+and+polish&hl=en&ei=o1IrZKGaHo-h5NoPqIOtqAM&sts=14&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjw8qmhBhClARIsANAtboe01JUmjj2kx_G3tlPAamd65MjTY1KxgEcjEE6mVoWKGRh20oPMZykaAuzJEALw_wcB

Is the type of polish the issue? Or am I not using enough polish? 

Glen

I now understand you, Bizman62. I hand finished the neck and there was less poly on the frets, a little, but not enough to shield them from the abrasiveness. It took me a minute to see what you were saying, I think I didn't read the whole thing. So I appreciate your advice!

The other guitars I did. I sprayed, which caused a quite thick layer of finish on the frets. This one I hand finished, purposely avoiding the frets. I wonder maybe at this point if I can even apply enough finish to frets by hand to create a barrier. I tried polishing the fingerboard by hand, it just does not shine at all like the rest of the neck. Maybe use a very small polishing wheel and carefully buff the wood and avoid the frets. 

You guys rock!

• Like 1

I use my buffing arbour with the medium (brown) dry compound and I don't bother taping off the fretboard, I find it does a really nice job of polishing up dark coloured fretboards like rosewood or ebony and is a huge time saver. I also do it with a maple fretboard providing it has been lacquered. If the maple board isn't lacquered then I would tape it off because it will grey up the fretboard, it should clean up with white spirit though or worst case scenario you could scrape it clean with a razor blade and apply some oil.