The pointiest build

6 hours ago, nakedzen said:

I cut down to a rectangular flat slot, then glued a new piece of padauk to that.

Most likely the best option, I can imagine the tip of a pointed piece to get loose and sink into a finger...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening, cut the bevels and roundover. Waiting for templates for the floyd route. Decided to go for stewmac templates since getting all these different cavities right first try ever with a printout, not so sure I'd get them all aligned correctly.

20230525_123856.jpg

20230525_085216.jpg

• Like 1

Top sanded to 800 grit, back and neck to 320. Next up Odie's oil, never used it before but should be pretty easy. Spread a small spoonful with a 1500 grit mirlon pad, let dry for an hour, then buff all off with a towel.

20230605_152154.jpg

Edit: More scratches I see. Have to remove those too.

Odie's oil became my new favorite. We'll see how well that surface lasts against scratches.

But can't beat 1 hour to get it done from start to finish. Mix well, rub on with a mirlon pad, sit for an hour, buff all off with a towel. Done and done.

Gave great color to the padauk.

Top was sanded to 1200 grit, everything else to 320.

20230607_215212.jpg

20230607_215202.jpg

20230607_153232.jpg

1 hour ago, nakedzen said:

Odie's oil

I assume it is based on tung oil so probably it works as good as any tung oil. Somehow it cures fast, so at least in that regard I guess they have invented a successful mix there. Looks pricy though. But their brand, the visual identity and their agressive tone of voice is what I find funny. Looks and sounds more like snake oil than any product I've ever seen :D I hope it is intentional, which would be a bold move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrim said:

I assume it is based on tung oil so probably it works as good as any tung oil. Somehow it cures fast, so at least in that regard I guess they have invented a successful mix there. Looks pricy though. But their brand, the visual identity and their agressive tone of voice is what I find funny. Looks and sounds more like snake oil than any product I've ever seen :D I hope it is intentional, which would be a bold move.

I was more than a bit suspicious as well. I bought the sample jar that was 15 euros. It was enough for this guitar, with some left over, enough for a fretboard or neck I think.

But it worked great. I think it's more like a hardening wax than oil, it doesn't have any thinners etc. in it. Smells like lemon oil too which is a nice plus.

That's how much there's left after the whole guitar is done.

20230608_115427.jpg

• Like 1

Not my favourite design but I can see the beauty of your ideas, there's directionality and dynamics as well as harmonic massing. As has been said the coloured fretboard accompanies and accentuates the body and headstock. Also, there's nothing wrong with the workmanship. You've used beautiful woods that you've paid homage to.

• Like 1