Jackson Kelly

I'VE GONE NUTS!!!

20231109_042528.thumb.jpg.6400af6617dba44b6b58e690f3b67be4.jpg

20231109_042543.thumb.jpg.0adb95d8ae1258498e9050f57ffc8071.jpg

More accurately: I've gone string guide.

I use a zero fret, so the nut is reduced to a string guide to hold them in proper position. This allows me to make it from wood matching the fretboard. In this case, cherry. Next is to drill the tuner holes and re-oil some bits. Then I can finally go on to final assembly.

• Like 2

Build is coming on well  :)  

I like zero frets and fit them to many of my own builds.  Yes, as @killemall8 says, the spacer can/should be a lot lower - its only function is to keep the strings in their relative positions and you don't want it to be a source of buzz or binding.

I'm sure you have this in your plans, but the other thing you will need to do is to add grooves in the fretboard end piece at the headstock side of the spacer so that the string can go from the zero fret directly to the tuner pegs (or string tree) without touching anything else.  That way you maximise the break angle over the zero fret and avoid binding or buzzing of the string over the fretboard end. 

• Like 1

A NIGHT TO MYSELF!!!!!! Just me and my guitars. I wanna (emotionally) lay them all out and roll around on them.

I don't get out much. Not a lot of human contact. It'll make ya weird.

Hipshot locking tuners. No string lock needed. They're also staggered, so hopefully no trees needed either. I'm going to wait and see on whether I need to cut any relied as the strings cross the end of the fretboard.

20231115_234315.thumb.jpg.482bb183ca6e54d4cff034d63f902600.jpg

Kahler-like trem from Schaller. I'm only guessing, but it can't be any newer than the 90's. Kahler went out of fashion sometime in there, so the market for similar products would also dry up. I didn't get the original screws so I had to improvise. The rear are brass-like construction screws, The front are gold P90 screws. Use what ya got.

20231116_020640.thumb.jpg.1a65ce7c0b494522b758ec9091a4c4c7.jpg

Black chrome neck plate and bushing.

20231116_021718.thumb.jpg.60eaea05bb6ec37aa35f4f7545759878.jpg

Glamour shot before I get into the wiring. IDK if I'll be able to finish it up tonight, so this might be all ya get for another week.

20231116_021747.thumb.jpg.361a24285433b0ff2581c5171b4c14eb.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, killemall8 said:

ive never seen them be more expensive.

I had a thought they'd be more expensive so I checked. StewMac sells nickel plated Gotoh Vintage 6 in line tuners for $47.17 and the staggered ones for $67.99. Guess that's the trend for all models and vendors.

7 minutes ago, avengers63 said:

I actually bought these on Amazon "used". That means they were a return. IIRC, they retailed for over $70, but I got these for around $50. $70 may or may not be right, but we all know Hipshots aren't cheap, so $50ish for a gold set is pretty damn good.

You are lucky to get a set of locking Gotoh’s for that retail price here in Europe. Locking Hipshots go for twice the price. Or more, depending on the model. More expensive than Schaller, and they ain’t cheap either.

19 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I had a thought they'd be more expensive so I checked. StewMac sells nickel plated Gotoh Vintage 6 in line tuners for $47.17 and the staggered ones for $67.99. Guess that's the trend for all models and vendors.

thats crazy. Even hipshot locking are only 65 shipped and staggered is not a markup.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I actually bought these on Amazon "used". That means they were a return. IIRC, they retailed for over $70, but I got these for around $50. $70 may or may not be right, but we all know Hipshots aren't cheap, so $50ish for a gold set is pretty damn good.

hipshot locking, either staggered or non staggered are 65$ plus free shipping on ebay. for black anyway. gold is probably 8$ more

14 hours ago, henrim said:

You are lucky to get a set of locking Gotoh’s for that retail price here in Europe. Locking Hipshots go for twice the price. Or more, depending on the model. More expensive than Schaller, and they ain’t cheap either.

thats wild. Pre covid, hipshots were 55$ a set plus free shipping in black.

7 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Yes, that’s wild. Apparently it would be even more expensive for me to buy those from US eBay. $65 + VAT + import taxes. And they are asking $65 for shipping to Finland too 😅 Anyway I’m not even looking for to buy hipshots. Just noticed the other day how expensive they are in europe. But if someone has a good deal for gearless Steinberger tuners I’m interested 😁

• Like 1