Tribute project

10pizza

Hey all, again a long time since last posting here, been very busy doing repairs, but I got the building fever again so time for a new project.

When my dad passed away in '17 and we were cleaning out his garage I found a glued together mahogany (I think) tabletop which I took home for a possible barncaster project. 

I've got a black limba top laying around and some nice maple that belonged to a local builder who unfortunately passed away also around that time.

My dad taught me a lot in diy'ing, enabling me to do about anything around the house in renovation and repairs. The local guitar builder inspired me to take up customizing and eventually building guitars.

So this project will be a tribute to 2 great gentlemen!

It will be a 25" scale guitar, one bridge pickup (q-pickups ) . Mahogany body with limba top. Birdseye maple fretboard on a glued in neck of wood, type yet to be determined. 

As always with me it will probably be a lengthy process. 😉In the meantime I'm finishing up on another build I hope to post here soon.

Happy building everyone! 

• Like 2

this thursday I'm visiting a woodshop to get a few neck blanks. Also I'm taking this block of burl ( not sure of the species) to have him saw a few tops to use for this project maybe in stead of the limba. And I found a nice piece of birdseye maple I didn't even remember I had! Should be good for 2 necks!

IMG_20230905_124606_web.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday had a road trip to my source for great wood: Masave fijnhout (@masave_fijnhouthandel) 

It's like being a kid in a candy shop 🤩

Took my piece of burled wood to saw some tops. We were able to get 3 nice matched tops out of it! So my project will be changing from the planned limba top to one of these!

Also I'm going to build 2 guitars simultaneously, will hopefully be more efficient.

Took some pieces of ziricote with me for fretboards, as well as a nice laminated neck blank and a big piece of nut to build the necks from.

Wish I had a bandsaw like that!

Short video: 

IMG_20230907_153201_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_153035_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_153107_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_113334_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_113340_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_113416_web.jpg

IMG_20230907_113423_web.jpg

• Like 3