Amp Randomly goes quiet

AbramT80

I inherited a crate GX-60 from my grandpa and I’ve been using it for 2 years with no issues. I usually play with distortion or a metal zone or something like that. Last night (and for the first time) I kicked on my metal zone pedal and the whole amp went quiet. I could hear the guitar through the amp still but it was ridiculously quiet, even when I turned off the pedal. Please advise

If it comes and goes, it might also be that the lug of the volume pot grounds to the shielding tape. A piece of electrician's tape between the two metals should fix that.

8 hours ago, curtisa said:

I'd be focussing more on the pedal or the leads as the issue first.

Tru dat. My first suggestion about connecting directly to the amp is intended just for that: If the guitar and amp work perfectly together, it'd be clear that the pedal is the culprit.

My second post basically applies to the pedal as well. If there's a shortcut i.e. some loose wire or pot touches the housing it can be tested by nudging the pedal to find out if random vibrations cut the signal.