Set neck joint

jowilmei

At first I was going to say that it doesn't look sufficient until I figured out that the narrower square is part of the neck. That much should do.

A couple of suggestions to your design, though:

If you make the extension full width it would be both easier to make and provide more gluing surface. That's how PRS necks are made, they also carve the neck pickup into the heel.

I was also thinking about a little notch to support the neck on the cutaway side, similar to Fenders etc. but the extension in the body makes that unnecessary.

neckjoint.JPG.2a537a63759c4dd1ccb2f112bc80afe3.JPG

i think that tenon is plenty long... if you look at an sg for instance... or a rick 4001, it is actually surprising how little is needed.  

seems like the reasoning for the tenon @Bizman62 is that he's intending to cover w pick guard... ie no top on this guitar.  (pls correct me if I'm wrong)

sort of a lp jr thing.  

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

the reasoning for the tenon @Bizman62 is that he's intending to cover w pick guard...

Yepp, that triangular boomerang thing starting from the end of the fretboard looks like a pickguard to me. Then again, the upper corner of a full width tenon would be visible with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Yepp, that triangular boomerang thing starting from the end of the fretboard looks like a pickguard to me. Then again, the upper corner of a full width tenon would be visible with that.

Right on, wasn't sure if you saw that.  with a thinner tenon... that upper edge of the neck might look a bit more clean too as the joint in theory is a bit more hidden.  that said, i'm sure it'd be fine.