Soapy

henrim

On 4/3/2024 at 2:02 PM, henrim said:

I’ve been postponing this one for some time now. Because every time I coat a guitar body I tell myself I need a better way to support the body while spraying it. So far I’ve been hanging them from a ceiling hook, but it’s difficult to have a good access around the body in the limited space I have.

So, I finally decided to build a fixture that allows me to rotate the body in every direction. I have done some drawings, but I think I’m going to improvise a bit. I found this used Volvo wheel hub I have saved for the last ten years waiting for a situation like this. Bearing still works well enough for rotating a guitar body. Now I just need to dig my storage a bit more for other pieces and do some welding and stuff.

IMG_3820.jpeg

I'm really looking forward to your solution here!

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had seen youtube videos of guitars being painted with a jig like that, and figured that that is very handy indeed, you built one (which looks better and is more compact!)!

Looks great, will need to read the rest of the thread to see if you've posted more info, but if not, please do :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LFlab said:

Looks great, will need to read the rest of the thread to see if you've posted more info, but if not, please do :D

Thanks, there not much more about the jig in this thread. I can take a few pictures, but like said I didn't plan much ahead, so not everything is how I would make them if I was to build a second one. I think it could be simplified here and there without sacrificing anything. 

Thanks guys, @Andyjr1515and @ScottR. The thing for me is that I can use this base for painting car wheels and what not. The part that guitar bodies really need, is a subset of this thing. And even that part can be simplified a lot. Using brass bushings instead of bearings and stuff like that this could probably be made to a niche product.

IMG_3886.jpeg

• Like 1