Tune-o-matic pegs too small?

Hey all, I recently bought a 1973 Shaftesbury SG custom, I noticed thay the TOM pegs are way to small for the peg holes in the bridge. At first I thought this was because all sorts of parts must have been cannibalized during the guitar's life but I found some photos and looks like this is the original bridge (haven't taken it apart yet, waiting on a set of strings to arrive). Anybody has any experoence with a bridge like that? Given that there is a chance for the bridge to move around, how is the intonation set and kept? Should I look for a new bridge or studs that fit better? Photo attached.

Thanks!

20231123_130014.jpg

Does the bridge move if you push it? I’m not familiar with that particular model but judging from the fact that the posts are in the middle of the hole I guess it doesn’t. Posts are probably guided from the bottom. Hard to say without taking the bridge off.

Edited by henrim

25 minutes ago, henrim said:

Does the bridge move if you push it? I’m not familiar with that particular model but judging from the fact that the posts are in the middle of the hole I guess it doesn’t. Posts are probably guided from the bottom. Hard to say without taking the bridge off.

It does, I mean if the strings are on it provides sufficient pressure for it to stay in place, but if I push it it does move a bit.

Right, maybe someone swapped the bridge but didn’t bother changing the studs. Sounds like an intonation nightmare. Although it may not be so bad in reality unless the bridge creeps out of intonation while under string tension.

The picture is not entirely sharp but the bridge and the tailpiece look like they are in pretty good condition. Maybe even too good considering the age. Being born in 1973, that was not easy to say 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crusader said:

I would think the amount it could move around under string tension would not affect intonation all that much

Yes, technically you are right. I think I'm categorising tuning stability as an intonation issue. And knowing how much slack there is would mentally kill me.

• Like 1

If you cannot find the correct parts then find a local machine shop and have them make some new ones for you. Basically they need to be turned on a lathe and the correct threads made. I would take the bridge and the adjustable screws with you so they can make the correct parts.

Just my 0.02 cents worth. :)

mk