Routing slots after neck shape cut

RVA

24 minutes ago, Asdrael said:

That too ;) I could write a short tutorial if there is interest on how to do neck profiles with the facetting method in a CAD software. It's honestly fast and very convenient, and in the end you can laser cut quite a few templates to check what you have on your guitars, what you like, and your progress once you make your own.

Thank you. That is a very nice offer.

At present I do not have any hardware for CAD or CNC. I was very tempted to start acquiring it, but I feel that need to aquire some skills with my hands first. The original idea was to do it as a form of relaxing, but then I learned about tear-out, cupping etc, so it is a mixed bag!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RVA said:

The original idea was to do it as a form of relaxing, but then I learned about tear-out, cupping etc, so it is a mixed bag!!

Isn't it relaxating to find out that there's ways to deal with or even prevent tear-out, cupping etc. and that all you have to do is ask?

And that nothing truly bad will happen if the abovementioned happen, they're just an excuse for redesigning. Build once, plan three times, change your mind and end up with the urge of wanting to do it again, only a bit differently...

Recreation in guitar building should be understood as re-creation, creating something again, and again, and again...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Isn't it relaxating to find out that there's ways to deal with or even prevent tear-out, cupping etc. and that all you have to do is ask?

I am always comforted and appreciative of the assistance I get here (not to mention inspired).

And you are right. It is much better than most other things I do in a week, pitfalls included, and a good workout for the problem solving skills

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, after an ugly attempt to patch some tear-out in the lower curve of the headstock, and then an attempt to graft on a scrap piece, I decided to freehand a new shape. It is good as any other for this neck, which is more about learning than building. The new shape gives the grain continuity, where the scrap graft would have never been good enough for me.

PXL_20240205_010542168.thumb.jpg.fad8cf090c14c1c85f8e62301e2ccc84.jpg

PXL_20240210_222606024.thumb.jpg.f974ee307a70459b669b44d7c76a7c2c.jpg

Edited by RVA
  • Like 2

Hadn't you mentioned you reshaped it I might not have noticed it. The different angles and various photographic things like barrel distortion can explain quite many dissimilarities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting closer to a final shape. This is after sanding with 180 grit. The middle is wet to show the grain. I am starting to think that a neck does not have enough surface area to provide a true sense of a quilt grain pattern.

PXL_20240309_203609728.thumb.jpg.8560e16d3e7e9ecce72aa28e73e67ae4.jpg

PXL_20240309_203535224.thumb.jpg.fabd645522406b0a72b26eddc70b62e2.jpg

PXL_20240309_203514359.thumb.jpg.06108694a470301fa2f2e9bf1cb50d2c.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RVA said:

I am starting to think that a neck does not have enough surface area to provide a true sense of a quilt grain pattern.

That looks pretty but I understand what you mean. A top made of that could make you seasick... But it doesn't look bad either, there's plenty going on along the length. Looks almost like there's dozens of humps and bumps! I like it very much.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 8:52 PM, RVA said:

I am starting to think that a neck does not have enough surface area to provide a true sense of a quilt grain pattern.

Still very attractive, though.  Some of our builds are a bit like a Hollywood set - you look round the back and it's a bit dull :)  That's not going to be the case with this one!

• Like 1