Cover up?

So my automatic stop wasn't tightened down hard enough. And I went too far.  I was able to patch it.

But now it is more obvious than I was hoping.  I definitely do not want to paint this, and Leave it natural wood. I am making two instruments and I want them to look similar. Any ideas on how to hide this?  I have enough wood that I could make a veneer, But i'm looking for other options.

thanks!

20231228_151922.jpg

20231228_151926.jpg

Yepp. It's obvious...

First, it might have helped if you could have matched the grain direction. Even more if you could have found a piece matching the grain pattern - which by the way can be faked using a pencil crayon.

Second, @ScottR recently showed how he patched a flaw using a more oval shaped piece but that method requires gouging beyond at least my skill set. YMMV

But seeing that it's that large I suppose the edges would be more or less visible no matter what. Which is why I suggest you to think about making that a feature. A round piece of contrasting wood, maybe with your logo, or even a coin inlaid would give that round patch a purpose. Further, depending whether that's the bottom side or the top of a lefty, or just a mirrored phone photo, you might use that as part of the control cavity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Like Biz has just suggested, I would have the control cavity covering that 😃

Unfortunately, the control cavity is on the front as this is a Jazz bass.

I actually ended up planing it down, and adding a veneer to cover.  I tried to get the grain direction to match on the repair attempt, but messed up putting the plug in.  It was just a serious pain from the get go.  I'll never trust the stop on my drill press again!!!  I'll mark the depth with a piece of tape as well in future.  That was a big job to fix this, and the loss of another body blank to make it happen.

Edited by spindlebox
  • Like 2

Maybe you can make it look intentional. 

Change the shape of it or add more circles.

I tried several times to repair the veneer on a piano and it always looked like a repair.

So I cut it out a shape and fit in a decorate piece of veneer. 

01.png

02.png

• Like 3