Wiring ideas for strat...

musmanjam

I am working on a strat with mini-humbuckers at bridge and neck and single in mid. I don't like using a 5-way switch, since i mostly play my les paul. I have an idea for wiring, but if anyone has any additional ideas they'd be appreciated! What i want is...

1. neck(humbucking)

2. neck and bridge

3. bridge(humbucking)

I'd like to convert the neck tone knob to a volume knob for mid pup and the mid tone knob to a master tone for all 3 pups. I'm using push pull pots on all 3 so I can split coils and change phasing. With the mid pup on and coils split, i'd like these combinations

1. neck and mid(hum cancelling)

2. all 3 pups

3. bridge and mid(hum cancelling)

I realize I'll need to change phasing to get those positions to be hum cancelling as well as hum cancelling with bridge and neck split without mid pup.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, where can i learn more about wiring and customizing. I have the Brosnac book "Guitar electronics for Musicians" but I still don't feel like i have a solid grasp on how guitar circuits work or how to create my own wiring ideas and have it work.

Hmm...

I may have some ideas for you, but just wanted to make sure about your setup. For your pick-up selector, do you only want to do the LP setup or would you like to involve all three pick-ups (I know a three-way that will allow you to do this). Also are you set on controlling the middle p/u with a seperate volume or do you want to go with a master volume and just a push-pull to turn it on and off?

I am pretty much set on having a middle pup vol knob. If i put it as a master with on/off, i'd lose control of that setting with mid only. I found a diagram on Seymour Duncan's website for a tele with a 3rd pup blend that seemed almost like what I want, only I'm not sure that the diagram will allow for tone control of the mid pup.

I am working on a strat with mini-humbuckers at bridge and neck and single in mid.  I don't like using a 5-way switch, since i mostly play my les paul.  I have an idea for wiring, but if anyone has any additional ideas they'd be appreciated!  What i want is...

1. neck(humbucking)

2. neck and bridge

3. bridge(humbucking)

Standard 2hum 1vol 1tone setup - your master tone will affect all three pickups.

I'd like to convert the neck tone knob to a volume knob for mid pup and the mid tone knob to a master tone for all 3 pups.  I'm using push pull pots on all 3 so I can split coils and change phasing.  With the mid pup on and coils split, i'd like these combinations

1. neck and mid(hum cancelling)

2. all 3 pups

3. bridge and mid(hum cancelling)

I realize I'll need to change phasing to get those positions to be hum cancelling as well as hum cancelling with bridge and neck split without mid pup.

You don't need phase switching - simply split the hums so you use the coil phased opposite your single coil. It will be fully hum cancelling when you roll in the middle pickup.

Also, where can i learn more about wiring and customizing.  I have the Brosnac book "Guitar electronics for Musicians" but I still don't feel like i have a solid grasp on how guitar circuits work or how to create my own wiring ideas and have it work.

Hmm...

Go to Guitar Nuts - between them and Brosnac's book, you'll have everything you need to know.

(Standard 2hum 1vol 1tone setup - your master tone will affect all three pickups.)

If i use mid alone, and cut neck and bridge, i will have no tone control, right?

(You don't need phase switching - simply split the hums so you use the coil phased opposite your single coil. It will be fully hum cancelling when you roll in the middle pickup.)

But it wouldn't be hum cancelling using bridge and neck with coils split if i wired it that way, right? I don't think i need phase switching, but I am figuring on wiring up a switch as a coil select for one of the pups to remedy this.

Hmm...

If i use mid alone, and cut neck and bridge, i will have no tone control, right?

No, if you wire the tone pot as a master tone, it affects any pickup(s) selected. In other words, the tone control works on the switch's output - wire it directly to the output jack.

But it wouldn't be hum cancelling using bridge and neck with coils split if i wired it that way, right?  I don't think i need phase switching, but I am figuring on wiring up a switch as a coil select for one of the pups to remedy this. 

In positions 1 and 3, you only have to pick the correct coil (physically out of phase) to use with the single to make that position humbucking. In position 2, you'll have three coils involved, so there's no way to make it humbucking. You're always going to have two coils (out of three) in phase, so it will be the equivalent of a single and a hum. You can use a push/pull to coil-switch, it just won't get you much (if any) change in sound. You could switch coils on either the bridge or neck pickup so that with the middle turned down it would be humbucking, if that's what you're looking for.

did you see the 12 pos wiring diagram in the tutorials..

Ok, I get it now.  How can I wire the tone knob direct to the output jack? 

Super simple - just disconnect the opposite end of the tone pot cap from its current location, and hook it up to the hot lead on the output jack. Instant master tone! :D This diagram shows it better than I can explain it - just look at the tone pot connection, and ignore the rest (or you can rewire your tone pot like the diagram - it makes no difference). Hope that helps.