Pickup Tutorial

Sethmetal

I created a webpage for a website class that I took. It just dawned on me that ti may be useful to some of you. I'm sure I left something out, but I think I gave a good overview on the basics of wiring and it's components. Let me know what you think.

http://www.shrikemusic.com/guitarworks/guitar.htm :D

As far as ceramic being hotter, I came to that conclusion based on the hottest passive pickups (Dimarzio X2N, Seymour Invader, Bill Lawrence) are made out of ceramic.

What does pm to brian mean?

Thanks for the compliment :D

hmm question. when did the dimarzio x2n become ceramic. i have an old one like from early 80's and one from the late 90's and both are alnico magnets. but i checked out the other sites and i checked a new one and its ceramic.. what gives??????

its stamped alnico btw and it looks compleetley different from the other x2n i have looked at

Errrr...I'm going to be completely objective here...so don't take this personally

I know it was done for a class so you hit the requirements then go play guitar

The colors and pictures and most of the layout of the site create a pretty unattractive combination...

There is a few broken links

- 3 single coil diagram

- soldering tools

- sethmetal guitar works

The spelling is a little creative in places too

Also for kicks I looked at your code for the front page

It's cool that you're using style sheets although you really don't need them for this...it escapes me why you'd use 3 seperate files just for different font colors???

Also you go on to define the color anyway??? Being that humans are lazy expecially those involved with computers (Me included) I doubt you'd make that much of a mess using notepad...I'm guessing an editor...Most are crap...adobe go live is the only one I know that is easy and doesn't make a mess...It's expensive though...IBM websphere is good too but hard to find and expensive...arachnophilia is a great free text editor that highlites the tags...you can get that from download.com

Stylesheets aren't really meant for small changes...they are basically meant to seperate the content and the formatting...so you can edit the content without changing the formatting or vice versa...really really crazy stuff can be done with them...much better for formatting than HTML...and combined with a little java absolutely mind blowing effects can be acheived...

I guess I may have rambled there...but it's something I have quite a bit of experience in...if you need help with the class or something let me know

Anyway...as far as content...it's pretty basic...a pretty good intro

A few things that stood out to me

You should mention what model the pickups are as an example of that particular breed

the lipstick tube pickup you show...as far as I know it's just a look alike...the real ones are housed in a round casing....kinda odd looking actually...there's a pic of one about halfway down here...

http://playmusicfree.com/musical_instrumen...ric_pickups.htm

as well the soapbar PU is a P-90 ...the mini-humbucker is not...the p-90 is a single coil...as well with the ears on it I doubt the mini HB would fit in a soapbar hole

I do like the animated coil tap diagram...

but as was mentioned before...I prefer to work from actual schematic diagrams as opposed to the pictures...(that's personal preference) the option to select one or the other would be a good idea

The soldering is a little simplistic...You should tin the iron once it's heated up then clean it...it gives a better heat transfer...also tinning the wires before soldering them makes life easier especially for stranded wire...for that you just heat the wire and touch the solder to it...it should give the whole area a thin coat...also twisting the wire to the connections gives you a better connection and eliminates the need to try to hold it...and takes a lot less solder

Anyway...you asked what I thought and I pointed out what I noticed...

It is a good start though if you do plan to keep the site up...

I like it, for a beginner, it does help to have all the info in one place rather than having to visit many sites and getting confused. I do prefer schematics to a certain extent but i do also like the pictoral approach (similiar to tab, i stare at it for ages but sometimes i need someone to actually show me). The zoom facility is pretty cool too!

Btw, Most pickup info or FAQ's say that ceramic magnets produce a hotter pickup than Alnico.

Did some research on magnets in general. Ceramic magnets apparently can be magnetised more strongly and hold their magnetisation far better than Alnico and be manufactured in all manner of shapes.

A stronger field gives a higher output with the same coil in a pickup. The magnet type does not effect the tone but the strength of the field produced does. ie ceramic or alnico with the same field strength will give the same tone all else being equal.

Keith

I thought ceramic was stronger. :D

Sorry if my page wasn't created perfectly. I just took the class to understand a little bit more about webpage developement. I used Dreamweaver Ultradev to create it. I appreciate the concerns about the site creation, but many of the comments were beyond the interest of my short attention span. (I can only pay attention if I hear the word guitar every other line :D )

The main reason I posted it was because I noticed a lot of basic pickup questions being asked. Although my site may not have all the answers I thought it might answer a good deal of them and maybe answer some questions.

I'm glad it was noted that it was all the information gathered in one area. That's the reason I did it. I got frustrated when I wanted to learn about pickups.

The color/visuals are a tribute to butt-rock past. If you can't take the shred...get out of the kitchen.

B)

Oh yeah - Ididn't make the schematic drawings.....I err...borrowed them....from Dimarzio. Schematics are definitely easier, but I didn't have any that looked visually appealing.

Yeah I mostly commented on the web design to help with the class...

I did like that it was a good intro to beginners...

I don't know if you're done with it or plan to expand but it's a pretty decent start...but if you have an interest in the elecronics side of guitars it could turn into a valuable site if you continue it

And to add my two cents on the magnets...

I can't remember the resource but I heard the alnico magnets are stronger than ceramics in larger sizes...but the sizes used in pickups the ceramics are stronger...

something like the ceramics are easier to align when small but as they get bigger that drops considerably...the alnico's get better...

Again I can't remember the resource and I could have got the details muddled

It seems the thing with ceramics is that they make up a batch of goo, squeeze it into moulds to get the required shapes and then stick them in very hot ovens which hardens them (sinters I think is the term used). The production is essentially much cheaper than Alnico which needs to be machined into whatever shape you want and is also therefore limited and expensive.

Keith