Total Newbie advice on modding my fretboard

Hey guys new to the forum,

Anyhow i recently got my 2nd guitar a beautiful Ibanez RG 1570 after playing for one year. I'm really thinkin about modifying my old guitar an Ibanez GRX 40, and i want to first start by scalloping the fretboard. Now i now there is a tutorial here on the site about doing that but im not sure whether ill stuff it up or not. I would really like some advice on scalloping the upper frets, maybe thinning the neck and mayb putting in sum good pickups

thanks from newb

Hi ChrisDee and welcome to the forum :D

Just take your time and go slow on the fretboard and you should do fine. At first since your probably going to use a heavey grit paper it will look rough as can be but once you switch to the finer grits you'll see a noticable difference.

heavy grit paper = rough sandpaper for taking big wadges out of the wood

light grit paper = smooths all the scratches out from the heavy grit paper.

If you're worried, find a bit of wood about the same width as the fingerboard and practice.

i think brian is refering to using a round object such as a dowel with sand paper wrapped around it.

As for thining the neck, more then one person on this forum has ruined a neck by trying to take to much wood of the back of the neck, it deepends on how deep the truss rod on your neck goes, since we don't know it's kinda risky, how thin did you want to go? scalloping kinda makes the neck feel "thinner" so maybe when you're done scalloping you'll decide it's fine..