glues

john

Does anyone here in uk or ireland use Evo-Stik wood glue ?

i previously used humbrol powdered resin glue, but can no longer find this for sale. so i bought a small bottle of the evo-stik glue.

it is a white glue, and on the label it claims to form a bond stronger than the wood itself. but i believe i have proven this to be untrue! i tested by gluing two pieces of mahogany together, i was able to break it with a hammer, leaving a reasonably clean break along the glue line.

do you think this would be sufficent to glue an ebony fretboard onto a mahogany neck? (bearing in mind it is a fretless bass) or should i hold out and find a better one?

i can get gorilla glue also, is that any use?

i might buy some titebond from stewmac next time i order stuff

john.

i think that if you can break it then its not the greatest glue, but hey, thats comin from kinda a newbie, but what i used to bookmatch my body what very very fine sawdust with tite bond and something else mixed in, i swear, i can drop it off the hover damn without it breakin!!even though i wouldnt

Curtis

hmm....difficult question....many people use the instrument maker's glue available at LMII including myself and I am quite happy with the results. I don't know how it would behave during your "test" though....

I guess most glues would leave a reasonable clean surface if the two pieces glued together had flat and clean surfaces. Another thing is that the fingerboard neck connection does not have to be the strongest joint on the guitar, as it doesn't have to hold up against much force anyway.

what about biscuit joining it? where you gut a little slot and fit a peice of wood, or biscuit in it, then you do like 3 of them, then run your regular bead of glue, and on the insides of the slots for the biscuits fill them with glue too

Curtis

One good thing about the USA is that if companies make crappy glue, other companies can easily come along and kick their a$$. Whereas in Europe (at least Germany) you have this very undemocratic marketing/business system where there's only a couple of glue companies and they can get away with making crap, because it's too hard for someone else to come along and get into the market. Ok, maybe I'm wrong, but what I've seen has made me think this.

Biscuit joining the fb to the neck? I think buscuit joints are unnecessary if you use a decent glue (ie titebond). You probably will be ok with the glue you have now, cause I don't think there are many instances where there would be a hammer blows hard hit pressure applied to any joint, and if there were it'd be the headstock/neck join (if you use a separate piece for each), or the centerline (assuming a two piece body is being used).

Devon

i gave it a good 24hrs to dry!,

i might buy some of that gorilla glue and try it out.

bear in mind i had to be a little violent with the hammer to break the joint. it was strong but not near as strong as the glue i used to use.

as for the fretboard not being a very critical joint, well i kinda disagree because im using a stewmac hotrod, which will puch against the fretboard when tightened.

thanks for the input guys.

john.

I wonder if that glue is anything like Weldbond.Weldbond is strong,BUT,according to the manufacturer if you clamp it to squeezeout point than the pressure heats the glue slightly and keeps the components from reacting correctly.

Have you tried using a couple of pieces of tape?Sounds stupid,but that's what the Weldbomd people told us.