Sorry, Another Swriling Quesion

Hi there. I know a lot of people have been asking a lot of questions about swirling, but i cannot get it to turn out. I have only been testing on scrap wood and havent done it to the guitar yet (thank god). I am using Rust-Olem Oil-based paints, and am having trouble getting the colors to swirl together. So:

1: Will the oil paints do the job? If not, does anybody know a site where i can buy the HUMBROL paint, since i cant find it anywhere?

2: Does anybody have any suggustions for swilrling the paint together/dipping the guitar?

3: For a GMC, should i mix the black on green asnd put it on the white body, or could i paint the body black and just put the green paint on it?

Humbrol paints are at hobby shops, in the section where the geeks get paint for thier d&d figures. I also had some luck with pactra's oil based paints.(see prior thread)

I tried some rustoleum and found it too thick, geting the chemical to slow cure time is my next step.

I had a lot of problems swirling my guitar too. I was also using Rustoleum oil based paint, but found that certain colors disipated in the water/borax mixture better than others and you had to find the right consistency of water, borax, paint and thinner.

It's much more difficult than it looks. Good luck!

Steve

It is a lot harder than it looks.Try using testors or boyds model spraypaint.Available at hobby shops or there are some colors in the model airplane section of walmart.Every time I used bottle paints,especially with thinner I ended up with a mess.For some reason the paints I mentioned above work really good.Any of the fast drying spraypaints-rustoleum,krylon etc. skin over when they hit the water.Avoid them.Try out some of the paints I mentioned,they ended my frustration.Keep in mind that because they are enamels you are limited to either 2part poly(automotive) or rattle can poly for clearcoats,as every other finish I tried lifted the enamel.When I first got a swirl to turn out it was I was like a kid in a candy store,must have more bodies to do.I totally understand why the pro's don't divulge their secrets,a huge amount of time must have gone into discovering and fine tuning their process.I know I've spent months just experimenting with enamels.Eventually I'll try the urethanes.

• 3 weeks later...

ever tried to swirl dyes???

i dont' recomend it