Electrpnic cavity

I am going to put a cavity in the back of my guitar for my electronics, even though i dont like them, it seems to be the best way to go, so how would i go about putting a little edge, or flange that sits about 1/4 inch down into the wood so i can mount a peice of maple flush to the body, would i just use a router? or a Dremel?

Thanks

Curtis

You can use a router with a template. If you want, you may be able to enlarge the template you used for the cavity a bit and use it. Remember in the cavity to leave some "bumps?" in 3 or 4 places for screws. You don't want to be trying to drill and screw into an 1/8' lip.

Curtis, Yeah. I actually just designed the template with them in place. Here's a pic. As you can see, I wasn't going to mess with a 1/8" lip. :D

Good luck. Also - check your depth VERY carefully as you rout the main cavity. I reouted through a rather nice piece of Zebrawood. Not a good thing.

Marty

15.JPG

same way you would do binding would be the way i would do it.

not quite, if you look at the photo above...... that would be one hard to make cover, if you used a binding bit.... plus you'd have no room for screws... you need seperate templates for the whole and the recssed cover whole...

Curtis, Yeah. I actually just designed the template with them in place. Here's a pic. As you can see, I wasn't going to mess with a 1/8" lip. :D

Good luck. Also - check your depth VERY carefully as you rout the main cavity. I reouted through a rather nice piece of Zebrawood. Not a good thing.

Marty

15.JPG

I'd like to reiterate the route depth thingy...

I routed for a flattop section..then decided i wanted carved top......well...as i was carving.....well...it wasn't pretty...so..not pretty that i ruined that body (thankfully it was free).

SO if ur gonna carve top/archtop....make sure u calculate properly ... B)

ok, so route out the peice for the screws to go in, then plunge it down a bit? what would work best? a Dremel or regular router?

Thanks again, thanks for the pic mdw3332 really helped cuz i was in the dark for a bit :D

Curtis

In my case I routed the cover cavity (3 mm) with the dremel, but the next ones I'll be taking time to make both templates and just use my router......better cut and much faster, I reccomend first the cover shape routing , and then the deep cavity routing

whatever you do, USE A TEMPLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made my cover first, traced it onto the body, and then freehanded the little ledge for the cover to sit on, and it is right now the worst looking part of my bass. Luckily I'm using walnut with a wenge cover, so it COULD look a lot worse... ie ebony and alder....

Hopefully it will continue to be the worst part... :D