Whammy Bars?

Curtis P

On my Wasburn I gotta Whammy Bar, as soon as I put it in, it wont stay up by the strings, it stays down near the tail of the body, and I can BARELY hear anything from it, I have the amp cranked pretty high and distortion on and such, but I can barely hear anything from it, I would buy the Digitech Whammy Pedal, but got no coin, i just spent all of it on my pickups/bridge/tuners and all :D but hey, i needed them B)

so, for kicks and giggles last night, the bridge I bought for the guitar I am building came with a Whammy bar, so i pull out the bridge and whammy bar, holding the bridge in one hand i turn in the whammy bar, same thing!!! do you like have to start the whammy bar somewhere to have it stay up by you???

Its kinda makin me mad, I would love to incorporate a whammy effect into some solos i (try) to make up

Thanks

Curtis

its not a mechanical solution but you can always cradle the bar between your middle and ring finger while you are playing a la steve vai. I perfer for my bar to be loose and swing back ddown when i play, it keeps it out off my way when i dont need it, and I just reach back around for it when i need to do a dive or a flutter

It depends on what sort of arm you have, push fit or screw in (fender style). With a push fit i put a very thin coat of nail varnish on the part that fits in the trem, this will tighten it up and keep it i place. On a screw fit arm i put a spring (out of a pen) in to the hole before i screw the trem arm in, be careful that you dont over tighten the arm. Hope this helps.

You could try to sue some of the stuff that plumbers put on the threads of heating systems. It's like really thin plastic tape (with no sticky stuff). Go and have a look at the bottom of a radiator where it's connected to one of the pipes, chances are that if it's a threaded joint it'll have a bit of this sticking out.

The tape is really cheap so it might be worth having a go. I just can't remember the name of it. I've used it a few times to hold something threaded in the right postion, just never on guitars :D

Apperently it's PTFE tape (so thebloke who sit's on the desk next to mine rekons B) )

The way that I figure it is that if you let it hang down loose, then it will always be in the same place and easy for your hand to find once you get used to it. If you fix it to stay up near your hand, the times that it loosens and swings down (and it will happen), you'll instinctively reach for it while playing and it won't be in the right place. After this happened to me a few times, I just decided to let it hang loose. You may eventually also but it's your decision. Anyone else here do the same thing?

I just let mine hang down loose and reach down for it when I need it. I've gotten used to doing it that way.

that is generally the accepted method,i think...i do it that way and i can reach it quite fast.if you put it up by the strings it will get in the way when you are playing

teflon tape? i use that when working on dump trucks to seal air line connections, its a screw in fender style, maybe i will see if any crud is in there like weezer said...

Thanks

Curtis

i also use the teflon tape,but only to keep the bar from getting too loose and rattling around,which it will

that's really why i wish floyd would use a push in bar like my sabre