Routing question

OK, I am already planning my second guitar build (right after I finish my Saga kit) My question is, how hard would it be to re-rout the standard Tele single coil opening for humbuckers?

Thanks in advance,

George

OK, I am already planning my second guitar build (right after I finish my Saga kit) My question is, how hard would it be to re-rout the standard Tele single coil opening for humbuckers?

Thanks in advance,

George

Does your bridge surround the pickup like in this picture?

0118502_md.jpg

If so I'm betting you'd have to get a whole new bridge, to make it look like this.

0118702_md.jpg

Not sure about that though.

Don't forget that several companies carry Tele bridges cut to fit an HB. Stwemac comes to mind.

But to answer the original question: How hard would it be to route an HB hole? With a template and a good router, not hard at all.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

the tele bridges with HB routes are slightly wider so you may have to cut the pickguard a bit, the single coil size humbucker is the easiest way to go though. unless you have a router, in which case you could get the template for like 5$

Thanks guys, at this point all I have is a pretty nice "ebay" body, no hardware or anything yet for this project. I thought about just dropping the single spaced humbuckers in, but I thing I'll do it right and rout them out. I will post pics as I move along. I have enough catalogs of parts to have an idea of whats available, and I do actually have a router, so I'll give it a try.

As an update, I just ordered the templates, and I am going to give it a try. The look is as important as the sound, thats one of the reasong I wanted to avoid the single spaced humbuckers. That and I like to make life difficult for myself.

George