Is swamp ash the same as ash???

I called a local wood supplier and he said he dosent know what swamp ash is but he has ash. Is it the same thing?? or is swamp ash special for guitar making?? And he aslo said that it was going to cost 5.99/ 1 inch thick board foot, how would I calculate how much it would cost for 2 20"/7"/2" thick peices??

Nope, it ain't the same,

Swamp ash is a very light wood, regular ash (at least the one you'll find in canada) Is REAL heavy.

I built a strat body with ash I bought at a local lumber yard in Montreal about 8 years ago and it weights A TON! I don't play that guitar very often because of the weight, it's not very comfortable.

Man it's great to have a friend who lives near Louisiana and can get all the Swamp Ash we would ever need. So basically we just started trying to find tone woods that we could get around our part of the country and so far Swamp Ash is the best we found. I'm not sure about the difference in Ash, all I can say is that the trees that grow closer to a swamp or close to a water source is suppose to weigh less and be better quality.

I know very little about tone woods, but I do know if you can't get Swamp Ash from your supplier, then just get Alder. Just because the wood is heavier doesn't mean you will get more sustain out of it.

Swamp Ash is Southern Ash. The other common Ash is Northern Ash and is what baseball bats are commonly made out of, and Fender Tele's too.

The southern is lighter and typically more resonant, the Northern is heavier, harder, denser, which helps Tele's get that clear high-end twang thang goin'.

$11.65 is what it should cost for that wood. (20x7)\144x2x5.99=11.647222...

Some Strats are made from ash, so I'm sure it's perfectly suitable. I think (not sure though) that swamp ash is a lighter wood, although I think there was a discussion once about how density of swamp ash can vary a lot in a very contained area depending on soil content.

Devon

yeah swamp ash is mainly "grown" :D? or from mississippi...hence southern ash

Actually my friend got some Swamp Ash from a factory in Mississippi also, some of those where 15" wide, enough to make a one piece. We still need to kiln dry that wood first.

I think (not sure though) that swamp ash is a lighter wood, although I think there was a discussion once about how density of swamp ash can vary a lot in a very contained area depending on soil content.

Devon

That's close to what I was told, except that the more water in the soil the better the wood. Thus trees that grew up close to swamp land or had a good source of water in the ground made the best Swamp Ash wood. At least that's what I've read somewhere before, but either way it's still hard to know unless you was there when they cut the tree down. lol But I'm sure some expert can analyse it and tell.

Does it sound good??? How heavy?? like try to strap it on and break your neck heavy or just guitar heavy??

It's "old Les Paul" heavy. As in, back when they didn't rout air pockets inside the Les Pauls to reduce the weight.

The sound is quite good though, I didn't play many different guitars in my life, just the three i've ever owned but I really like the sound. The grain is also very beautiful, but compared to my light weight basses made out of alder and basswood this thing feels like a ton.

If you can live with a heavy guitar, you'll definitely get a beautiful, nice sounding, cheap guitar by getting the wood at a local lumber yard. That stuff is a hell of a lot cheaper than if you buy it though StewMac or others and have it shipped.

My next guitar will be made of alder. Maybe you can also check if your lumber yard as it.

Nope, it's closer to $23.30...ya didn't figure in the thickness.

7Wx2Tx40L=560/144=3.89BFx5.99PBF=$23.30

...and that's just for the 1", it may cost more for the 2", like 6.99PBF or 7.99PBF.

Swamp Ash is Southern Ash. The other common Ash is Northern Ash and is what baseball bats are commonly made out of, and Fender Tele's too.

The southern is lighter and typically more resonant, the Northern is heavier, harder, denser, which helps Tele's get that clear high-end twang thang goin'.

I always thought Tele's were made from Swamp Ash.

I always thought Tele's were made from Swamp Ash.

me too.. lol

No, Swamp Ash is a term that's just become popular in the last, maybe 10 years, give or take.

You never ever heard the term before that, at least I never did.

You know all the jokes over the years about Tele's being used as hammers and driving nails and used as weapons and stuff like that?...you couldn't do that with Swamp Ash.

I think the term Swamp Ash came around along about the time of PRS...

Now I am curious.... I ordered the exact same body as Here and I thought it was the same ash as used in regular American stratocasters. Is this correct??? Thanks!

I doubt that regular strats have nice lightweight ash, but that is a nice body. I bought some of them once and I'm really happy with the quality.

Now I am curious.... I ordered the exact same body as Here and I thought it was the same ash as used in regular American stratocasters. Is this correct??? Thanks!

I doubt that regular strats have nice lightweight ash, but that is a nice body. I bought some of them once and I'm really happy with the quality.

whew! i was worried for a while there! :D

Nope, it's closer to $23.30...ya didn't figure in the thickness.

7Wx2Tx40L=560/144=3.89BFx5.99PBF=$23.30

...and that's just for the 1", it may cost more for the 2", like 6.99PBF or 7.99PBF.

:DB) added the thickness after the division...oh well, that's what smart people are here for