Satin Matte Finish

What are you guys' reccomendations for a matte finish? It's for my purpleheart neckthru, and I think a high gloss just isn't what I want. I'd prefer not to use oil, cause I've heard you have to re-apply it rather frequently. I was looking at the deft satin brushing lacquer at Lowes..looked promising. It's self levelling, and since it's satin I'd probably just brush it on and save myself some trouble. I'm gonna leave the grain open. I played a couple Ibanez mahogany guitars yesterday with just the finish I'm looking for. Can't recall the models though. I really like the matte finish Taylor uses too. My youth leader has a 410ce with the satin, and I really like it. Anyway, I just want some opinions on what I should use...thanks. :D

I'll bump this, 'cause I'd like to know how to do a satin finish for my neck.

My understanding is that you can use a regular lacquer, and then the satin finish is produced by hand-sanding, but that's just something I heard in passing once, a very long time ago and I'd like to know if it's accurate. Also, what sandpapers would be best for the job, if indeed sandpaper is what's used.

Greg

Cool beans. :D

On a related question, it seems to me that the sandpaper thing I heard was for necks that already have a glossy finish but people wanted a less stick 'action' on the neck. For necks that are already finished glossy, is there a sandpaper method for helping the neck feel less 'sticky'?