Noobie to Guitar building

Hi All,

My name is Tony Calvert, I live in New Zealand and I don't feel complete unless I have a project (or sometimes two) on the go. I don't own a guitar as I have always had access to about 5 of them owned by other members of my family but I now live in a different city to them all, so I thought I'd build myself one. I started out thinking I would build a rosewood acoustic Dreadnought kit from LMI but in my research I stumbled across John Fishers "Building a Les Paul the hard way" website and decided it was probably the prettiest looking guitar shape around so yesterday I went out and purchased the mahogany.

Here is a run down of what I plan;

An Ebony coloured Les Paul look alike, mahogany neck and body, rosewood fret board, gold gotoh tuning machines, gold tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar, gold plated Seymour Duncan classic cover humbucker pickups, Stew-mac "wiring kit for Les Paul" and Gibson style gold knobs. ( Any suggestions will be appreciated especially on pickup and wiring kit choice).

Although not guitar related I have a website site showing a few of my past and current projects, Kayaks and racing cars.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/acalvert/

Thanks to everyone for providing a great resource for newbies such as myself.

Cheers Tony

My playing skills are not as good as they should be but I tend to play a little of everything. I try my hand at anything that is currently on the radio, a bit of blues and a bit of country rock. I pretty much try and play anything from Buddy Holly to Linkin Park I know I'm not going to get a pickup that will do all of this but a good allrounder will do

Hi Tony,

I was just checking out the race cars. I liked the Brabham. I assume that you are into Vintage Car racing. I spent some 20 years invovled in racing, and I came to love vintage racing. If you ever get the chance, The Monterey (California) Historic Automobile Races are wicked good. They get Lola T70's, 917-K30's, Bandini's. One year they had about 40 of the 3-wheel Morgans with the V-twins out front.

Sorry for the side trip..... Welcome to the world of building guitars, which is what we are really here for. :D

Take care and lots of pix.

Guitar Ed

• 3 weeks later...