Need help choosing a new effects unit

Jivin

Hi,

Im looking at buying a new multifx unit along with my new guitar, and i was originally looking at the Boss ME50, but i read that it has a significant cutout time when changing between patches and I dont like the sound of that. Ive read a lot of amazing reviews about the Boss GT-6 and its only $100US more... so my focus has sort of shifted to that.

However, im also aware of the opinion of a lot of people that if your serious, you look straight to the individual stomp boxes. If this was hte case for me, i would probably be limited to an MT-2, a compressor of some sort and maybe a wah pedal, for lack of money.

Does anyone have any opinions on the GT-6? How do the effects/features of it stand up against that of the the respective individual stomp boxes?

I will be going and trying both the ME50 and GT-6 in the next few days, but I would appreciate some opinions from you guys.

Thanks a lot

- Dan

However, im also aware of the opinion of a lot of people that if your serious, you look straight to the individual stomp boxes.

I've also heard that. I'm not a believer in that theory though. The hip thing nowadays is to buy the "Botique" effects pedals at approx $200 and up each which I think is fine if that's what sounds best for you. The idea that this is the path you need to take if you are to be considered a good guitarist is not well founded in my opinion.

I am of the opinion that you should use what you like - period. If someone judges your music by what you have in your rack or floorboard then I don't think you need to be concerned with them.

My personal favorite multi-effects are:

1. T.C. Electronics G-Major (about $400 US) - everything but distortion. Great unit if you can afford it. The quality surpasses anything close to it's price range.

2. Yamaha FX500 (I think that's the model). Awesome clean channel effects (chorus, delay, ...). I've seen some on Ebay recently very cheap.

I tried one of the Boss multi-effects a few years ago (GT-5 maybe?) and hated it. I just could not get anything usable out of it. After a couple of days, I gave up and returned it.

All of this is just personal opinion of course. I hope it all goes well for you with whatever you get.

What did you end up getting? (I haven't played either)

I've more or less decided on the Boss GT-6. Only thing im left to do is compare the GT-6 directly to the Boss MT-2, if the GT-6 shapes up in that department i'll get it.

However, im getting all this stuff end of april when my aunt flies in from the US, so I have a bit of waiting time. While im at it, ill mention im getting the Jackson DXMG, Jackson JC291 Hardcase and the Boss GT-6 all from music123.com delivered to my Aunt and (soon to be) Uncle's place in Illinois (sp?), and then she will take it on the plane with her and bring it all back to me therefore getting the stuff for less than _half_ of what i would have paid to buy it here in Australia (including the cost of a new power converter for the effects unit).

I understand the downsides to doing this, but Ive come to the conclusion the saving of ~$1200AUD is worth it. Also luckily my Aunt's fiancee in Illinois is a guitar nut, so he can check out all the gear for me and take care of any warranty issues if there is defects at that stage. I also found out the temperature in the cargo bay of the jet is actually quite cold, so heat during the flight isnt an issue. And my aunt says she has cargo insurance and that they will make sure its all packed up nicely. so yeah... fingers crossed.

http://www.guitarbargains.com/product.lasso?pr=25657

http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=14259

1. T.C. Electronics G-Major (about $400 US) - everything but distortion. Great unit if you can afford it. The quality surpasses anything close to it's price range.

this is what i want for my rack soon

awesome unit!

i'm glad it doesn't have any distortion

multiFX dist tends to = B):D

dist come from amp of tubes much better for sound yes!! :D

I think the T.C. Electronics G Major sounds cool as well.

I also like the Lexicon MPX series for sound vs $. I'm interested in checking out the Digitech RPx400. If it sounds good it should be a cool little unit with all the I/O connectivity, portability & expression pedal. :D