my 38" 6 string fretless bass project

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is stunning! with that oil finish and the way the figuring is highlighting, it makes the guitar look very 'organic' if thats a good way to describe it?

simply awesome. hands down that is very good work you are doing.

john.

Man. Loostoe, my hand goes out to you. I'm super glad you picked the body design you did, and I'm absolutely blown away by how its turning out. Is this a bass you plan to keep for yourself? If so, damn!

The color on that maple is out of this world gorgeous, as is the mahogany. The contrast, and the paduak wings, i just don't have enough to say about it. I hope you plan to enter it in the GOTM contest (though, unfortunately if you do, I'll have to vote for you instead of myself)

Bravo, absolutely bravo. This is my favorite of all the work you've posted so far.

Thank you folks for your kind words.

I do plan on keeping this instrument.

I originally set-out to make myself a fretless bass, as it is something i have been wanting for a decade or so.

See, I have a problem with the phrase "might-as-well".

I came across that chunk of maple for $25. I thought it would serve well to make the body of a bass.

So then...maybe I should make it a through body....might-as-well.

How about a 6 string...might-as-well

EXTREMELY long scale (38")..might-as-well. (try finding strings for this length)

I guess I have an issue with letting things snowball.

That being said, the costs associated with building this instrument have actually been rather appropriate.

Again, the body maple (which also served for the headstock facing) was only $25.

6 b/f of Mahogany was $32 (and I still have enough for AT LEAST 1 other neck)

The padaouk was scrap i had lying around.

The tulipwood was the most expensive wood at $54, but again, I still have enough to do another fingerboard. (And as always happens, the second piece looks better than the one i used.)

The hard maple was also scrap. SO in all the woods were only about $100.

The hardware OTOH, was probably in the $300 range. Still, I am extremely happy with the results I have been seeing.

As for any GOTM competition...Naw, not my style. I appreciate the suggestion, but competetion is just not my thing. As far as I am concerned, I've already won everthing I intended to get out of this project.

Hopefully next week I'll have some FINAL shots of the bass.

-Wayne

As for any GOTM competition...Naw, not my style. I appreciate the suggestion, but competetion is just not my thing. As far as I am concerned, I've already won everthing I intended to get out of this project.

For the GOTM competition... you "might as well".

:D

Damn fine bass there!

The remainder of thebody was shaped. All shaping was done with a spokeshave, rasps, and sanding.

Eureka! I found this thread again!

I've been in the process of working on a po-boys "chrome boy" carved guitar body. I remembered your work on this bass loosetoe and thought that I could borrow the same technique. From the looks of it, there's no trick but just lot of time and elbow grease to get those curves.

I've been in the process of working on a po-boys "chrome boy" carved guitar body.  I remembered your work on this bass loosetoe and thought that I could borrow the same technique.  From the looks of it, there's no trick but just lot of time and elbow grease to get those curves.

Jehle,

All of my carving was done by hand. You are right there's no particular trick to it. Just patience and a good eye.

As for GOTM,

I really do appreciate the feedback guys. I'll reserve my decision until after final assembly.

I finished buffing the bas back with steel wool. It is now so slick that it literally slides off of my knee when i rest it there. I am giving it a few days rest. Tomorrow I will apply a apste wax to it, then it's onto assembly.

Sometime Saturday I should be cutting the nut and stringing her up.

-Wayne

OK a few last teaser shots before the bass is complete.

The nut has been cut ( I think I did an OK job for my first try.)

The strings strung and the truss rod adjusted...(more on this later).

near-005.jpg

near-010.jpg

The strings were removed to do the electronics. Copper shielding was installed in all cavities. THis really is some wonderful stuff. Easy to apply and looks fantastic when done. Very professional touch.

near-002.jpg

near-003.jpg

The good stuff should be tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...