Wiring schematic

Defiled

I have searched high and low for the wiring schematic I need, so if someone can help me out here it would greatly appreciated.

Hum/Single/Hum Setup.

Vol/Tone for Hums

Vol/Tone for Single

On/off/coil tap for each hum

On/off for the single

I am very unknowledgable when it comes to electronics, but I am very willing to learn. I have not yet found the pickups I want, so suggestions are welcome. Also, when I am looking at pickups is there any special thing I need to make sure it has in order to work for my setup? And this may sound stupid (we all gotta learn somehow) but what does a phase switch do?

That shouldn't be too hard to implement. Here's one way:Wire the hot side of each humbucker to a SPDT on-off-on switch for the coil tap/ standard switch and connect both output wires to a volume/tone pot pair - then wire the single to a SPST on-off switch and the second v/t pair, and wire the outputs of both volumes to the output jack. I don't personally think you'll get your best sound choices from that setup, but try it out - YMMV. And of course, you could add one more volume pot, use push-pull switchpots for the Hum volume controls to give you the coil taps, and you wouldn't need any on-off switching at all - just turn down the volume on that pickup. That's way too complicated for me (to use), but it's fairly easily done. Oh, and before I forget, a phase switch reverses the signal polarity of one pickup in relation to another -it cancels most of the low end, making the sound very thin and bright. HTH

Thanks, I'm sure when I have the stuff I need in front of me I'll have at least a small idea about what you just said :D . Can you explain to me why you don't think I'll get the best sound choices from this setup? I was looking for a setup that allowed me the most tonal possibilities, and I settled with this one because I thought thats what I would get. I'll look into the switch-less setup you talked about. This is going to be more of a studio guitar, so I don't mind having all of the switches though.

Thanks, I'm sure when I have the stuff I need in front of me I'll have at least a small idea about what you just said  :D
Sorry, I often assume that people think like I do -most don't (and that's probably a good thing! :D ). Let me try again - first go to this page and look at the second diagram from the top on the left (labelled Humbucker/OFF/single). Wire each humbucker to a switch like that, then connect the hot leads (out from the switches) together, connect the ground leads together, and wire these leads to a volume/tone pot setup as in this diagram.

Wire the single to an on/off (SPST) switch, and wire it to a second v/t setup just like the one mentioned earlier. Then wire the output leads to a single jack, shield the cavity, and you're done.

Can you explain to me why you don't think I'll get the best sound choices from this setup? I was looking for a setup that allowed me the most tonal possibilities, and I settled with this one because I thought thats what I would get. I'll look into the switch-less setup you talked about. This is going to be more of a studio guitar, so I don't mind having all of the switches though.

Don't misunderstand me - you'll get a lot of tonal variation, but you'll be missing a couple of my favorites (hums in parallel), and there's no provision for running the single in series with the hums ( my poor man's Brian May trick). It will give you all the standard Strat sounds, so it may be the best solution for you. Try it - if you don't like it, you'll still have plenty of options - The DGB Studios page mentioned earlier has a huge set of HSH wiring options. B) If you want to get really crafty, find a diagram for May's Red Special, and add your humbuckers with the coil taps - more switches than NASA, but it'll do just about anything you could ask for. It's just waaayy too complicated for me.

Here is every possible way to wire a guitar in a completely incomprehensible website.

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm

good god, i had no idea there were over 30 ways to wire 3 single coils...

This SHOULD work...maybe...I'm not to sure about how the volume and tone circuits will affect each other...

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/view_i...S/picserver.gif

but it has all you were looking for and maybe more...

vol and tone for the HB's and coil switching for each...

a seperate switch for the middle PU

You could put all the switches into push pulls...

you could even use one to select inside and outside coils instead of selecting it on both seperately...

actually with the 4 pots...if you used one for the coil tap the others could select the pickups individually...this should give you enough versatility though...

I haven't tested this...it's pretty late at night...no guarantees...

I'm not too sure about it right now but I imagine it won't work too bad

AHHhh...I noticed a mistake already...that's a SPDT for the 2 coils select switches

anyway...ugh...bedtime...if you need help I'll go over it later

Here is every possible way to wire a guitar in a completely incomprehensible website.

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm

close but there are quite a few that aren't there, mine for instance isnt' there. wth the acoustic pseudo mod

Thanks for all of the replies. Jefm, I don't understand exactly what the 3-way switch is for, unless it is to put the humbuckers in parallel, but how then would the on/off/on switches effect that? I'm thinking I might just stick with my first plan, but with push-pull pots with phasing for each pickup like on the Red Special.

acoustic pseudo mod

Interesting, I searched the forum but couldnt find it.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/blendmod.htm

Well...how it SHOULD work...

again I'm not too sure about it but I shouldn't be far off

The 2 on-off-on switches are your coil selectors...

up they select the lower coil...down they select the upper coil...(I guess that's a little odd)

and in the middle they are humbuckers...there's one switch for each HB

The 3 way switch is the selector for the HB pickups...same as on any gibson 2 HB setup...the middle both are on and one way or the other is neck and bridge...that would be the on off switch...I would have went with a 5 way or something of that sort but you said you wanted a seperate swich for the middle (hence the seperate on off switch)

The pickups don't change phase or go series/parallel (at least not here)

Actually...come to think of it I never considered if you want them phased or in series or whatever...that's not a big change though...

Anyway....to sum it up and answer your questions

The switches all work independantly...the gibson switch is the pickup selector switch...the on-off-on's select which coil you want to use on whatever pickup is working...and the on-off switch turns the middle on and off...the position of one switch doesn't affect the others (except the pickup selector I'd guess)