Bass Wood For Body?

Hi, my uncle carves wooden ducks and he uses bass wood, i was wondering if bass wood is good for guitar bodies and what its pros and cons are. i might be able to get this cheap so. also, anyone have links to cheap guitar wood retailers or know of any in the new jersey area?

umm...in my opinion not really "toneful"....it is lacking some mids and highs...but it is well balanced for metal/fusion/shredding...you need to use great pickups with it though.

i love alder,as i said.....it has much more to work with in the frequency department...easier to take out the "bite" with the eq than it is to add it.

but i do have a basswood guitar...it has a nice "creamy" sound with a tighter low end than mahogany,which is slightly "mushy" to my ears

fair enough, and i suppose they are trying to sell it. although, i just had a look and its says this:

Basswood (Tilia americana): This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes; It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Soundwise, Basswood has a nice, warm tone.

turns out i am wrong! :D ah well, you live and learn, eh?

Hello. As I'm from Europe can someone give me some more info (mostly tone properties - is it same as basswood or close to) about european version" of basswood - Tilia europaea (Linden). We have it plenty here so why order it from U.S. and pay more for shipping than for wood itself.

BTW - I found out that it's denser than basswood

While basswood has an average weight of 27 pounds per cubic foot, European lime’s average weight is 34 pounds per cubic foot.

PS - I'm glad I've found this forum, it's great place for newbies to learn a lot.