Shielding

jammy

I want to do the "quietening the beast" tutorial to my brothers strat - but I have a few questions. It talks about a capacitor...is this just to stop electric shocks, or does it aid in the noise reduction too? also, I know you have to cover the back of the pickguard with something, but can I do it with strips of aluminium tape as opposed to the single sheet of aluminium that it reccomends?

aluminium tape should be okay as long as all the pieces have continuity i think. I don't know much about electronics.

And im not sure what the capacitor does but isnt it used to bleed treble?

Best just to make sure you have one in. They are only about £1 or a dollar or something it think.

It talks about a capacitor...is this just to stop electric shocks, or does it aid in the noise reduction too?

No, it's only there to keep you from getting killed as easily - it has no effect on the sound. :D

also, I know you have to cover the back of the pickguard with something, but can I do it with strips of aluminium tape as opposed to the single sheet of aluminium that it reccomends?

You can use anything you choose so long as it has continuity (is all connected electrically - use your multimeter to check) and is connected to the star ground. I used some fancy aluminum sheet metal tape with a small piece of copper tape to solder to. Like the young folks say, it is all good. B)

It couldn't be easier than using spray adhesive and a piece of aluminum foil from the kitchen. If your copper tape from the pickup cavities is overlapping atop the body the way it should, just give one of them an extra fold on the outside part (closer to the edge of the pickguard) for thickness and when you bolt down the pickguard, there should be enough positive contact to connect it all together.

Greg.

I know you have to cover the back of the pickguard with something, but can I do it with strips of aluminium tape as opposed to the single sheet of aluminium that it reccomends?

You can as long as you measure continuity between the first and last strips. However, even this doesn't guarantee that the continuity will still be there several years from now. Using a single piece guarantees it.