For the love of god...

I've always wanted to have a crack at making one of these guitars... However reading throught he vai website it says they got the effect for the body by burning mineral salts on the body... does anybody know what type of mineral salts? Or which would owrk best to achieve this effect???

gtr030LRG.jpg

Any info would be appreciated! Many thanks! :D

what they put on it to get it burning won't really make much difference. as j789 said, just use lighter fuel and have a hendrix BBQ lol

Yeah I thought of that... infact I remember Cerealk burning an RG or old Jem in his backyard a while back??

Anyways the buring part I'm cool with... but the question i'm asking is with the colours and swirling kind of effects the buring has created.. is this because they originally burned a Universe MC or is it the actual salts that created that look?

I'm confussed.. :D

I've always wanted to have a crack at making one of these guitars... However reading throught he vai website it says they got the effect for the body by burning mineral salts on the body... does anybody know what type of mineral salts? Or which would owrk best to achieve this effect???

gtr030LRG.jpg

Any info would be appreciated! Many thanks! :D

They used mineral SPIRITS, not salt...

:D

And, yes, Steve had seen Jimi's Monterey strat (FZ had it in his collection), and always wanted a guitar just like it.

The guitar doesn't work, as all the electronics were completely "toasted" in the BBQ.

But some new parts, and that baby would rock!

B)

You should play your gigs in a fireman's suit. That would look right.

I've always wanted to do a BBQ'd guitar. Not torched, but an actual BBQ, where you get an "X" pattern of charred grill marks. Then you could finish it with a caramel tinted clear so it looked like grilled chicken breast. And you wouldn't buff it out, you'd just slather it on with a brush and let it drip and sag like marinade. I imagine you couldn't really do it on a BBQ because the rest of the guitar would burn before the grill marks were left. You might have to make phony grill marks with a woodburning kit first, then torch it.