Fernandes Sustainer Kit

ItWasKnight

Well, I finally got my Kelly body and I'd really like to try putting one of these Sustainer kits on it, but apparently it comes with a single coil "driver" that's supposed to be in the neck position and a humbucker as well. I really want to do it myself even if it requires routing, which I think it does. I just want to get an idea of what I'm up against before I buy it.

As you can see in the picture, I have two places for humbuckers, so how would I get it to work?

you can either have the Driver in at the neck and then not have another Pup there, or you can get one of the Single coil sized humbuckers around (i can't remember what there is available but lots of the guys here will be able to give recomendations for ya) and have that with the driver

Have you considered Sustainiac? They have both magnetic and acoustic sustainers. I bought the model C acoustic sustainer (acoustic meaning it sustains using vibrations - not a pickup). It's amazing - you can sustain as long as you want and change harmonics during the note. The only drawback (besides the price) is the cable. I don't mind it at all since I'm a basement player but it wouldn't be ideal for playing live.

Anyway, they have lots of options/products - check them out if you haven't yet.

Ok, when I was considering the many wierd and original things I could do with a new guitar a while back, I email Fernandes and asked them a load of questions on this. You would not be able to put the driver pickup and another regular single coil pickup in the humbucker slot because apparently there would be magnetic interference and the driver would not function to its best. Although, if you email Fernandes themselves, I think you can buy the kit directly off them ($250) and they can replace the single coild driver with a humbucker sized one. Hope this helps.

Hi, something I forgot to mention on my last post. Yes your right. It would require some extra routing if your cavity is not already big enough. You have to be able to store the circuit board, not sure how big it is, and the battery. As for wiring etc and stuff like that. I can't help you because i've not done it.

If you're going to buy the Fernandes Sustainer, email vwallguitars. He's a fernandes dealer and He might be able to get you the kit with the humbucker driver

Mad props there Scott!!

I appreciate the referal!!

Indeed, the HB kit is available...

Also coming out is a white version of the drivers too.

Sure to be a hit.

Has anyone here used one of these before? I have not used a magnetic sustainer before but I have used the acoustic type (the sustainiac model C).

What I'd like to know is:

can you sustain as long as you want?

Will it fade into a feedback/harmonic type of sound or does it just remain as played?

If it does fade into feedback/harmonic type of sound, do you have control over changing the harmonics during the note?

Does it work reliably every time with any note played? In other words, do the higher strings sustain about as well as the lower strings? How about the upper fret notes, do they sustain as long as the lower notes?

Overall, is it worth the money?

If you're going to buy the Fernandes Sustainer, email vwallguitars. He's a fernandes dealer and He might be able to get you the kit with the humbucker driver

Mad props there Scott!!

I appreciate the referal!!

Indeed, the HB kit is available...

Also coming out is a white version of the drivers too.

Sure to be a hit.

Does that mean I'll get a bigger discount when I order mine? :D

I always wanted a sustainer... but I can't sacrifice my neck position, as it's the pickup position I use 95% of the time. Are there any other options? ie. Will it work in the middle position?

Greg

Greg - look above - the acoustic sustainer doesn't involve any pickups. I thought it was much more expensive at first but now that I see the fernandez is in the mid to upper $200's I guess it's not. I really like it a lot - it's just like playing at concert level volumes but at bedroom level. You can actually feel the music you are playing even if you're only playing at 2 or 3 on the volume knob.

Here's a link to Sustainiac's description of the differences between acoustic and magnetic sustaining devices. I don't think it's biased since they sell both types. I posted this for GregP since he mentioned that he may not want to give up his pickup for the magnetic type.

It doesn't seem as though many people on this site use sustainers - I've asked questions about them before and not many people respond. After playing with the model C, I don't like playing without it. I need to see if I can get more transducers now so I don't have to take it off each guitar when I switch. Anyway, check it out - it has some pretty good info in it:

Magnetic vs. Acoustic

Thanks for that. At first, the thought of the electroacoustic sustainer didn't appeal to me, what with the extra cables, etc. But on second thought-- I'm not in a band, and nor am I likely to be in one in the forseeable future, if ever. If the feedback becomes a part of my style in the meantime, I'll consider a magnetic style or just deal with the cable when the time comes.

Cheers!

Greg

Here, this is from the Sustainiac site :

stl-lp1.jpg

These installation instructions tell you how to use the Stealth with a humbucker in a single coil package like the Little '59er or JB Jr. - Neal Schon's been using a similar setup for years on his guitars, and it works well enough that he's got it on his new PRSs too.