Question for Jehle

diver

Hey Jehle, I stumbled across this site after getting an Ibanez RG470 and finding links to it from www.jemsite.com. This is a great site with a lot of information. I had seen your site before after spending some time at the Guitar Techniques forum.

I have an 83' Squire Strat that looks exactly like yours. I want to make it a project guitar and was wondering where I can get a nice maple neck with jumbo frets that will fit it (3 hole). Also, do you know if the body is made of Maple? Mine is very heavy and has a great paint job.. they did a good job on these Squires back in 83'.

Thanks,

I believe I will have to drill two holes on the corners because that 3rd hole is in the middle. Can anyone tell me if this guitar body is made out of maple or plywood? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth being a project guitar.

Hey Brian, is this your site? Good job if so.. I was glad to see your practically a neighbor because I am in Deland. I just recently fell in love with Ibanez guitars so I'm glad to see you do a lot of work with Ibanez...

Wow ton's of info on the net about Strat's but Squires are a different ballpark, You should be able to tell if it is plywood just by looking in the neck pocket providing of course it isn't painted in there :D

BTW welcome to the forum B)

Oh and yes it's my site, and yuppers I live pretty close to Deland but I'm over in southern europe at the moment :D

Hey Jehle, I stumbled across this site after getting an Ibanez RG470 and finding links to it from www.jemsite.com. This is a great site with a lot of information. I had seen your site before after spending some time at the Guitar Techniques forum.

I have an 83' Squire Strat that looks exactly like yours. I want to make it a project guitar and was wondering where I can get a nice maple neck with jumbo frets that will fit it (3 hole). Also, do you know if the body is made of Maple? Mine is very heavy and has a great paint job.. they did a good job on these Squires back in 83'.

Thanks,

Sorry I'm late for this discussion. Just got back from London. :D

I think the 83 Squires were one of the first years that they were made. There were not too many differences from the standard Strat's back then (a slightly smaller upper horn and cheaper electronics as far as I can tell). I've always heard that they were made of Alder.

I got my neck from StewMac and it has jumbo frets just like you want. You can use the same 3 screw holes to put the new neck on. BUT, you will have to use a smaller screw for the 3rd hole. I thought about putting on a 4 bolt plate, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

As it turns out, I was able to use an old tremlo claw screw from my box of guitar junk (everyone has one of these, right?). It was just the right length.

Piece of cake to do.

Hey thanks for the reply's... I'm glad to hear it is alder... because I had heard rumors that it could be press-board. Thanks for the info on the StewMac neck too. What a great place.. you guys know your stuff.

You must have gotten hooked on seeing the guys/gals from GAS in England if you have already returned? Did you hook up with Brian over there? Brian, what are you doing in Europe?

Hey thanks for the reply's... I'm glad to hear it is alder... because I had heard rumors that it could be press-board. Thanks for the info on the StewMac neck too. What a great place.. you guys know your stuff.

You must have gotten hooked on seeing the guys/gals from GAS in England if you have already returned? Did you hook up with Brian over there? Brian, what are you doing in Europe?

I think my Squire is about a 3 piece body. I can just see the glue lines under the finish.

I also, sadly, just missed the GAS fest. Those guys can really play. Having known them all for so long, I'm kicking myself for having lost the chance to jam with them all. :|

How satisfied are you with your new and improved Squire Strat? I can't find the link to that project on your website.

I should check this thread more often. Here's the link to the neck project. I'm really happy with the conversion. The larger frets took a little getting used to, but what I'm really happy about is the extra fret (Yea!) and the slightly flatter radius fingerboard.

It was worth it.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~jehle/project-guit...tGuitarNeck.htm

Thanks again for the info Jehle. Sorry you missed the guys from GAS and GT on your trip to England.

I actually did get to meet up with Adrian while I was over there last time. Great guy and a fantastic player.

I just finished a tune (still a little rough in a place or two) with this guitar and uploaded it to my site. Have a listen to it if you like. This guitar is really versitile for all the different sounds that it can produce. I could never part with it. It's what I learned on for so long and has that feel of a worn out pair of jeans.

Sulciforme Groove

Enjoy.

Great tune Jehle! What pups are you using in this guitar? I'm also assuming you routed the bridge pup area to fit that Humbucker?

The pickups are a mix.

Neck: Seymor Duncan Hot Rails.

Middle: Stock Squire single coil.

Bridge: It was an old 2 conductor DiMarzio distortion (DS-2) which I converted to a 4 conductor. It's actually close to the DiMarzio Fred pickup ohming in at only 10K. I wish I could find more of these old creme ones like this.

And the route job. Ah, memories. I did that with a Dremel bit and an electric drill. I used an eraser sheild as a routing guide. The results were okay, but the scratchplate hides all the sins.

The results were okay, but the scratchplate hides all the sins.

Hehe... I want to keep mine S-S-S. What do you all think about this option?:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?...2=AG1W&P1=GTR/K

When did you route that bridge pup Jehle.. recently or way back when you were younger? With all those mods it must be a great guitar to stand up to all the torture.

I did the pickup modifications (and many others) back when I was younger. The entire wages of my first summer job when I was 16 paid for the floyd rose (recently removed). I probably put the bucker in there when I was around 19 or 20.

At 35 now, it's still a great guitar. I'd have another from the same year if I could find one. They were well made back then, not at all like the cheapy feel of the Squires today.

I like the looks of the Carvin PU's. I love all the allen screws. I have no idea how they sound though.