I just scored a lot of figured maple from a friend. He has 40 acres and has two of the best maple trees around. One was downed five years ago, but the wood looks salvageable. The total will be 1000lbs of wood when I'm done grabbing it all.

WooHoo! :D

:D I am pretty stoked. I've been looking for awhile to find a good tree. There is a lot of maple here, but I am told only a small percentage yields good figure. I now believe that after months of looking for the elusive quilt in the wood.
I'm building a hard maple body right now that will have a maple neck and maple fretboard - yeah maple!!!!  (my back hurts just thinking about playing it though  )

my ears already bleed.... :D man... that thing will be bright.... probably too bright.

yes it will be....mine is so bright it hurts my ears...even at low volumes

What kind of maple is it?

It is Western Big Leaf. It grows like a weed out here, with most of the wood going for firewood even good instrument quality wood. A lot of people don't share my interests in fine wood. I've seen gorgeous quilt chopped up and turned to charcoal. What a waste!

about a year ago (4th of july last year) a really bad storm blew through my area, over 2000 trees downed (rockford is nicknamed the Forest City because it's so densly populated w/ trees and canopy growth, mostly elm and maple in some places). there was a lot of wood picked up after that one, but i wasn't smart enough to think, "hey, those people lost a huge tree in their backyard and it crushed their car. i wonder if they'll mind if i take it."

to conclude this story, though. over the past week, we've had some pretty bad storms in the area. just quick little 20 minute things, but they're rather rough nonetheless. the neighborhood i live in lost a couple trees, and one of them happened to be a really nice, very fat maple tree. the middle sections are what i'm taking from 'em ('bout 32" wide) 'cause the figured base areas were already spoken for, but i'm getting me 4, 4' long sections at at least 2.5' wide. yay!

i have no idea, but it's really hard. most of the wood that grows in this area is really soft, so i don't bother looking at it or checking it or anything, but i liked the way this tree looked in size, and figured if nothing else, i could pull a couple crappy bodies out of it, but it's actually rather hard, about the same as what one would use for a top. i'm just gonna pull maybe 8 bodies from it and then sell the rest to my grandpa for some of his 22 year old mahogany.