Next Project....

I'd say the les paul double cutaway would be the coolest for you to do

the thing is i lovea Les pauls tones , but i find it hard to get access to the higher register but im not a fan of the clean tones on it, where as on i strat i love the clean tones but by putting 59' humbuckers in there i will proberly lose that clean tone, but i like a humbucker dist sound. i may also be buying a Gibson les paul :D

My recommendation for a versatile on-board setup would be this:

1) Build the strat

2) Use the new Lace Sensor Hot Gold strat setup ($123.00 at Aamps)

3) Install the EMG Afterburner pre-amp and SPC tone control (about $45.00 each)

4) Use the Stew-Mac 5-way switch that removes the position 3 only for bridge/neck for more versatility.

That will give you everything from clean to gnarly HB-ish mean all in one guitar.

They sell the pre-amp on a mini-switch too, the xa-2 or something like that.

The mini-switch is just that, a mini-switch that is either not on (no gain, stock tone) ...or full-out 25dB gain when engaged.

The Afterburner is a pot, and is naturally variable in nature.

The mini switch obviously takes up less space than a pot does, but I like the variable-ness of the afterburner better. You can roll it up a little for just a hint of hot, or roll that muthu all the way up for some serious shriekback. :D

You will have clean strat tones and humbucker-sounding thick distortion all at your fingertips.

You can always make a clean signal hotter, but you can't really clean up a hot signal too much.

This method takes a great sounding clean signal (the Hot Golds) and jacks them to overdrive.

If you want super-glass tinkly clean tones, add in the EXG EMG control pot too.

you could mix n match pups on a strat, go for an SSH config. I hear Lace Sensors are good pups for clean tones, and they have some pups that are good for distortion too. Anyone else have opinions?

If you do a strat, definitely go for the diff headstock.

:D

Edit: Damn, Drak beat me to it!

i STILL say go for SSH, though!

The Hot Golds are available in 6K bridge and 13K bridge, and you can buy a Hot Gold 'Dually', which is basically 2 hot gold sc's put together to form a HB, so the options are all there within the Lace hot gold family of pkps.

But with the afterburner, you don't really need a hot pkp, that's what the pre-amp is there for. If you combine the pre-amp with a hot pkp, it's just too much hot signal, it's 'overbaked hot', and you lose a little of the clean versatility.

...But I like a SC/SC/HB too, so if that's what you want, get the 6K Dually HB for your bridge. :D

Christ, if you built that, you'd never need another guitar again, it would be EXTEREMELY versatile in nature.

This is the way I've been building my guitars for the past 3 years or so, all using noiseless pkps and an afterburner combined.

I've used Lawrence, EMG's, and a few other different pkps combined with the afterburner, I love the results.

i'd also go with s-s-h if you want a versatile (spelling?) guitar. i'd recommend to use standart strat singels and a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion-Humbucker, it is a good hi-gainer for distorted sounds, and with a push/pull-pot or a mini-swich you can swich it to a singlecoil-sound, and than it sounds like an standart USA stratpickup. that is what i have and it is really great sounding.... i can do anything from jazz over blues to rock and metal and death metal (wich i do mostly) it is a fantastic pickup-combination