New Project

I've been experimenting with painting guitar bodies while I'm waiting for my other projects to cure (another few days I think). I've seen plenty of dyed maple tops and I really love them - but I wanted to see if I could do something a little more complicated and wild looking. **Not bashing maple tops - I love them** - just wanted to try something new. :D

So, after seeing the latest George Lynch clinic, I was thinking of trying to do a M1 Tiger ' ish guitar. I built a hard maple body in the shape of a strat (similar to the real M1) but modified it to reach the upper frets easier. I did my RG / Jem hybrid pocket (I call it mine but I'm sure others have been doing it long before me B) ).

The neck that you see in these pics is NOT the actual neck that will be used. It's a scrap neck that I screwed up back when I first started building. It's now an expensive hanger. The real neck will have a birdseye maple fretboard (Scalloped from frets 17 to 22) and a birdseye maple neck. The headstock will not be painted (I don't think).

(see below for credit to projectguitar member who really helped with great advice)

The body has a fourcolor burst (white+ three shades of yellow) with black stripes.

Here's the body (I'll just wait until everything's done to show the neck):

TigerFinal%20020sml.jpg

TigerFinal%20019sml.jpg

TigerFinal%20018sml.jpg

TigerFinal%20017sml.jpg

It's my first time using the airbrush for more than just a little logo. I saw that Jeremy (LGM) posted a pic of a purple/red tiger a while ago and asked for some tips. He came through with some very helpful advice. This is actually my second attempt on this body - the first didn't come out to my satisfaction. His advice was extremely helpful - I probably would still be at it if he wasn't so helpful.

So, if anyone decides that they want to pick up an airbrush and try something like this for their first project - I'd say - don't do it. I barely managed and it took a lot of determination and time. I'm glad I tried it though - I'm looking forward to trying something else with that airbrush now. The wife isn't going to be happy about that. :D

So please tell us exactly how you went about that finish, very nice DaveQ! B)

It kinda reminds me of one of my favorite bar bands' guitars, Norm Nardini and the Tigers, from back in the 80's. They had similar guitars, but the design was a little different. The stripes would start at the outer edges, top and bottom, and end in the middle, kind of facing each other.

Jeezus what a band they were, anybody from Pittsburgh knows Norm and the boys. They were a huge local attraction, and they freakin' Rawked! :D

So, if anyone decides that they want to pick up an airbrush and try something like this for their first project - I'd say - don't do it. I barely managed and it took a lot of determination and time

The only way you get good at something is to try and try and try it again and again.

Nothing wrong with giving it a shot on your first go-round, you'll just gain experience that much faster.

I've seen several websites of archtop guys who built a full-bodied carved Spruce-topped archtop as their very very first guitar, and with the proper guidance, they did just fine and had a great playable jazz-man archtop for their -very- first guitar-build.

That's a -helluva lot- of work for your first build, but they did just fine, from carving to fretting to spraying on an airbrushed 'burst to everything else involved. :D

Grab that airbrush and spray away and have fun! :D

mynamesucks - thanks - just don't look too closely! :D

Grab that airbrush and spray away and have fun!

That's the impression that I did not want to give people on this. After going through a couple of sand-backs and redo's - I wasn't having much fun. There's nothing wrong with pushing your limits - I'm all in favor of that. I don't know if this is the kind of project that a beginner should really use as a learner though. Like I said, I barely made it and was on the brink of getting completely fed up with airbrushing. I don't want to do that to anyone - I'd rather suggest something that will be fun for the first project.

Something with a little less masking - that's what really killed me on this one. The slightest error in masking will ruin it. Using a curved edge body makes it even harder. On the other hand - it should be something that you will really like and be proud of - if that means doing a tiger pattern or something that requires a ton of masking - then do it. If there's something that you would enjoy just as much but doesn't require all of that masking - that's what I would pick as a first project.

Maybe some Lightning bolts, leopard skin, ... anything that doesn't require masking the entire body and delicately cutting out all of those stripes.

To answer the how to question:

1. I sanded the body to 600 grit and was extremely careful not leave any visible scratches - they will only get amplified later.

2. Applied vinyl sealer (twice) and sanded it smooth again. I probably could have skipped going to 600 grit in the first step but I thought it would be easier to find scratches if I went to 600 first.

3. Sprayed white Createx Auto-Air paint over the entire body.

4. Sprayed the burst using 3 shades of yellow (starting with the lightest shade first)

5. Let cure and then started the masking nightmare.

6. To mask, use sign makers transfer tape large enough to cover the face of the body (this idea comes from LGM). I bought 100 yards of it off an internet supplier for about $60 I think. Did this for front and back. On the back, I ued two pieces - the second being for the waist contour.

7. Masked the side edges with 3M green tape. Since I had curved edges, I ran the tape vertically and used a bunch of pieces.

8. draw the stripes using a pencil.

9. using a new blade, very carefully cut the stripes (the areas where the back will be sprayed) out. It is very hard to do but you have to avoid cutting into the wood. At the same time, you have to apply enough pressure to get a good clean cut - otherwise you won't get a crisp line. This is very difficult to get a hang of. Also, you should avoid stopping during the middle of a cut - try to keep the blade in the cut continuously - going all the way around the body where needed. If you stop and start on a stripe - you risk having a visbile mark there or fuzzy edge.

10. peel the tape off and use a magnifying glass to examine for fuzzy edges or errors in cutting. Make absolutely sure that there are no problems with the masking - you only get one shot at it (for the most part).

11. Spray the black very carefully. Do it in multiple passes never letting it look wet (thanks again LGM).

12. Let cure. I think some people pull the masking off before the black has completely cured - couldn't find info on this.

13. Very, very carefully, remove the masking. Peel the tape back on itself perpendicular to the edges to get a cleaner line.

14. Hope and pray that there were no masking errors. Your heart will sink if you see any stray black paint - been there.

15. If stray black is found - try to remask and touch it up. Don't expect it to come out looking great though - overlapping black on black will leave a visible line. If the touch up doesn't work - sand it all down and go to step 1.

Here's what I used as a guide - I also used pics of George's personal M1 which has a slightly different pattern. I didn't go for an exact copy - just used it as a general guide.

I have a couple more Lynch guitars to get out of my system before moving on to other things. I guess all of those years as a kid wanting one of those guitars has finally caught up to me. I'd like to try a kami someday but I've got a list of projects around the house to do first :D .

M1Tiger.jpg

That looks pretty good Dave, I'm surprised you were able to do all that with Createx, I hate that paint LOL.

I take all my masking off while the paint is still wet, if you let it dry and you get it on a little heavy, you run the risk of the paint tearing along the masked edge. With Createx it can be even worse as it's not a very strong paint. I used Createx for a while, and was very happy with the results until I started spraying urethanes, then I realized that all the problems I was having with createx, weren't actually anything I was doing, they were just createx problems.

As for remasking and touching up black, you'll see the line when it's just the black, but if you sprayed your first black solidly, and you have to paint on top of it, that line will completely dissappear under the clear.

I'm surprised you were able to do all that with Createx, I hate that paint LOL.

Oh well - I actually bought that stuff back when you were in favor of it. I wanted to do a kami paint job and asked for tips - you suggested using those paints :D.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue which paint to use so even though you don't like them now - I still appreciate you helping me find something that works. I guess I should have checked back with you since it has been about a year since I last asked you about it.

I'm not spraying urethane so maybe I'll avoid some of the problems that you were mentioning?

Thanks again for the help Jeremy - you've got me very interested in painting now. I think I'll look for a few airbrush books and learn what I should have before I started on this. If you don't mind - let me know what you don't like about it so I know what to focus on in the future. I know you're very busy but if you have time - send me a message or write it in here - thanks! (I have a few ideas already on what I could have done better B) ).

Thanks BLS! Give it a try - you might like it. Up until now, I've always hated painting.

dave... very nice job..

Did you have much problems with the Createx Air paint? I just ordered some and after reading some of LGM's posts.... I'm a little worried :D I'm sure some Hose of Kolor would work great.. however the $$$$ is up there! I mean I only need 4-8 oz. at the moment.... I could'nt find HOK in anything less than a pint.

So was it easy to work w/ the Createx ... or should I prepare myself for a lot of time, patience, and swearing ? B) ..Great looking body ...

Thanks sinner!

Well, I don't know how to compare since I've only used the Createx Auto-Air that LGM used to like. I can't say that any of my problems were due to the paint. My struggles were mainly with the masking and proper usage of the airbrush (I put it on a bit thick and wet on my first attempt).

I've been thinking about Drak's comment about trying it even though it's difficult. This project has really given me hope for doing new things so maybe it is a good idea to just go with whatever you want? Just be prepared to have trouble at keep at it until you've got it. I only said that because I didn't want to frustrate anyone but maybe that's playing it too safe?

I'm really happy with it and am looking forward to putting it together and cranking it up. :D I know it's past it's prime in terms of the look but I'm really drawn to it and think it may be my favorite so far.

Good luck on your project. What type of artwork are you going to do?

Past it's prime...Bwahahahahaha!

That guitar freakin' rocks dude. B)

And the only way to really learn is to keep doing it and keep doing it and keep doing it. Ask Yngwie. You think he exploded from his momma's womb wailing like that?

I didn't learn some intrinsic 'tricks' to 'bursting until probably my 20th shot at it.

I had become comfortable with the process by then, and started to notice some things were lacking, and added them in. I didn't do anything I consider -really- good until after that. And hell, it's FUN!

I actually can't imagine someone doing much of ANYTHING really kick-ass without doing it repeatedly lots and lots of times. Expecting seriously Rico Suave results on your first or second time out seems to be setting yourself up for a fall, AFAIC.

I kind of laugh when I read posts by guys who get all bummed out when they have to re-do their first finish job and are all bummed out about it.

In this instantaneous 3-second MTV age we live in, this might be a weird thing to say, but learning, and it's failures, is actually an experience to be enjoyed.

Think Zen Buddha stuff. :D

Revel in the process of learning, don't get addicted to instant results, expect failures along the way and don't even let them become a small blip on your radar screen, they're PART of getting GOOD at stuff.

To think that nothing will ever go wrong is not very realistic, and it's how you deal with your failures that shows your character much more than how you deal with your successes. B)

I have a Wall of Death for those miscreated bastards :DB):D:D

Thank you. I think I'll leave the headstock unpainted since it does have some interesting figuring (birdseye with a little flame pattern as well). It's not a heavily figured piece but I like the look of it. I also like the look of unpainted maple headstocks for some reason.

The clear coating is almost done - just need to wait, wait, wait, ... then screw it up when sanding/buffing :D - hopefully not.